Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2002 gmc: driving down..bump..a stop sign it made the rattle sound

Customer Question

i have a rattling, clinking noise when i hit bumps. doesnt do it when driving down the road. 2002 gmc sierra 1/2 ton hit a bump coming to a stop sign it made the rattle sound even when i was almost completely stopped. took it to a mechanic and he found nothing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, it would help if you could give us an idea of where the noise may be coming from? Front, rear, steering column, dash other? GM has issued several service bulletins regarding different types of rattles and other noises, but it would help if we could narrow it down some. These bulletins may or may not apply to your vehicle, depending on the location and type of noise. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its hard for me to tell where its comming from because it only happens when im driving, if i had to guess i would say it is comming from either the front drivers side or the middle of the cab drivers side.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

I am going to send you a bulletin, it may or may not help. But without being able to hear it to pin point the location it could be pretty hard to find. I will send you one that related to the front, but if you find that you can feel it in the steering or it only does it with the AC on or something on that order, let me know and I will send some others that may help. They even have one for rear springs making a slapping sound, but if you don't think it is coming from the rear, I will hold off on that one. So, take a look at what I am sending this time and lest me know if it sounds like it may be related to your problem or not. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2002 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD

Subject:Rattle/Squeak from Front of Vehicle (Replace Lower Portion of Upper Insulator Assembly) #03-03-08-002B - (11/30/2005)

Models:2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2000-2005 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-002A (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle or squeak type noise coming from the front of the vehicle.

Cause

The front shock absorber plastic pilot ring may be wearing out, causing the shock to misalign in the insulator.

Correction

DO NOT replace the shock . Replace the lower portion, P/N 15834275 , of the upper insulator assembly using the procedure listed below. This new insulator has a taller plastic pilot ring that is attached to the metal sleeve to aid in the proper alignment of the insulators.

1. Remove the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.
  2. Remove the lower portion of the upper insulator from the shock and discard.
  3. Install the new lower portion of the upper insulator to the shock.

Important: Be sure to center the shock in the frame bracket and tighten the upper mounting nut when the vehicle is on the ground.

4. Install the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

15834275

Insulator Asm. - Frt. S/ABS (Lower Part of Upper Insulator)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my first thought that it was between the cab and the box possibly the rear, i had someone else tell me they thought it was the intermediate steering shaft but there is nothing in the steering column and im not feeling it in the steering when im driving.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

I am going to send you the one for the steering shaft. This is by far the most common problem on your particular model. I will also send the one on the rear springs, you may be able to tell just by looking at the pads on the springs. You may not always feel the problem with the steering shaft. Let me know. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2002 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD

Subject:Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models:2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).
Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction

DO THIS

DON'T DO THIS

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.

Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

Important:

I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.
Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

1. Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.
    Object Number: 333146  Size: SH

3. For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.
    Object Number: 362505  Size: SH

4. From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
  5. Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
  6. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    6.1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.
    6.2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.
    6.3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

Object Number: 730294  Size: SH

7. From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
  8. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
    8.1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.
    8.2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.
  9. Replace the upper intermediate shaft.
  10. Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
  11. Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
  12. Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

13. Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

14. For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
    14.1. Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.
    14.2. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

14.3. Reposition the carpet into place.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

19153614

Shaft - Upper Intermediate Steering

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is this something that will do damage the longer it goes or do i have some time?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
I am sure it is the kind of thing that will get worse as it goes, but I doubt that it would cause damage. Most of the time this kind of thing is more of an annoyance than anything else. But if it is going to cause any damage, I would think you would know it ahead of time because it will get to the point of being really severe in a hurry when it gets that far. Thanks a bunch for the accept and for using JA. If we can help further, just drop us a note.