Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

chevy venture traction control acting up light comes on ...

Customer Question

chevy venture traction control acting up light comes on cuts engine power. pull over put the car in netrual and rev it up it stops and then drive fine the rest of the time. is there away to by pass the TC
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Hello, you may well be correct about what is causing the problem. The sad part is that the traction control is tire directly into the ABS system and both systems share many of the same components. So, it is pretty much impossible to bypass the system. About the best you could do would be to have the system scanned to see what codes are stored and hope it is just a bad connection or a part that is not too expensive, to replace. Until it is repaired, you can keep shutting it off and the light will keep coming back on, because every time the system runs a self test and senses the fault it will turn the light back on. If you can get the codes and post them here, we can help you track the problem down. Some of the larger auto parts stores like Auto Zone and Pep Boys will scan the computer systems as a free service, but I don't know if there is one in your area that will check the traction control and ABS for you. Let us know. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if the "short " or whatever is causeing the traction control to act up is tied to the abs which is also controled by the speed sensor is it a fair bet that it could be caused by one of the front wheel hub assemblys? that was my first gut reaction to the problm but its kind of an expensive to just change both on a mybe this will do it. also would that throw a code that i could read with my hand held scanner?
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
That would be a fair bet, but I would hate to see you just buy them and then find out you were wrong. You can test parts of the circuit with an ohm meter and that will tell you a few things at least about the harness and the front speed sensors. I would really be surprised if your code reader would pick up ABS codes. It takes a class 2 scanner to read them. A code reader is usually just good for basic engine and emission codes. The class 2 scanner, even a cheap one is well over 2000 dollars. If you want to run a couple of tests, the speed sensors if you unhook them should have between 850 to 1350 ohms across the wires at the sensor. Also check the sensor circuit for resistance, it should have between 800 and 1600 ohms. Hope that helps you some. But because of the cost of parts and how many things it could be, I think it may save you money to have the system scanned rather than just throwing parts at it. Thanks