roadsidejerry
roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

2002 Chevy silverado 2500: 4X4..neutral..ABS..gauges go out, radio

Customer Question

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab DURAMAX 4X4 - has intermittent problem. The "D" light flashes, transmission seems to go into neutral, ABS and battery lights come on, gauges go out, radio cut out once. this problem resolves by turning off ignition and restarting. Occasionally the interior lights don''t come on when getting in and doors don''t automatically unlock when put into park. Could this be a bad BCM? I replaced the range selector switch a couple of years ago when the trany idicator lights went out.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 6 years ago.
Hello P Jamieson, I would fist check all connections from battery positive and ground for loose or dirty connections.I did a search for pattern failures on your truck,a majority of problems found were repaired by replacing the ignition switch,a common failure item.
roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience: Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i replaced the ignition switch and checked the grounds with no change in the symptoms - any other ideas

Hello P Jamieson, I see that you pulled codes,If if an OBD2 scanner was used it won't pull codes in the BCM for communication problems.For this testing a factory level tool is needed. I did some more searching and found some failures that are similar to yours ,that replacing the ign. switch failed to correct. There have beer some with loose fuse connections and one had a corroded wire. I am sending some info and the wiring diagrams. You may want to print the diagrams out and piece together.You will see that fuses Ign O and IGN 1 feed power to the cluster.I hope this info helps you find the problem Jerry.

_____________________ ORIGINAL MESSAGE _____________________

Below is my original help request Customer said some times
when they crank the truck that no lights in the instrament
cluster are no gauges well work they cut the truck off and
restart it and every thing works. I don't think this is
related to the transmission but the customer said one time
they started the truck and the motor was turning 4000 rpm and
the truck was barely moving like the transmission was sliping
and the ckeck engine light came on they stoped cut it off
restarted and every thing was ok light off truck works fine
for me. Pulled codes had P1860 Torque Conv Clutch PWM Sol CKT.
P0740 Torque Conv Clutch Sol CKT. P0785 3-2 shift Timing
Solenoid Problem. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Greg
Mayfield ASE Master Cert.

Everyone said ignition switch so I replaced it and thought I
had it customer called and said it did it again truck will
crank and run but no gauges work and transmission want work
right. He cut truck off and restarted and everything was OK. I
have to be losing power some where but it is intermitant it
want do it when I have the truck. I don't have a information
system so I was wondering if someone could tell me were to
start checking at what connecter and what pins

graphic

graphicgraphicgraphic