Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

2005 Chevy Cobalt: a clicking noise..side front..front wheel..tire

Recently my 2005 Chevy Cobalt started making a "clicking noise" and it sounds it is coming from the driver''s side front wheel. It sounds like there might me something stuck in the tire tread but I can''t see anything. You can only hear it when you are going slow and going forward. When you back up you can''t hear it. Got any idea what it is? Thanks very much!

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are descibing a noise between the wheel cover and the wheel. There is actually a service bulletin for this concern. There is a procedure to install 3M insulator tape on the inside of the wheel cover to prevent contactin noise, either a squeak or click. On the indside of each cover, install a piece of this tape on either side of the spoke area on the outer edge of the cover. while the covers are off, also lok for a stone caught between the cover and the wheel while you have them off.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure where you are telling me to put the tape and not sure if that is what is happening. It sounds like I ran over something and it clicks each time the tire hits the pavement. Would that make the sound you are talking about in the wheel cover?

Yes, it could. Unless you have a nail in the tire. Here is a pic of the placement of the strips of 3M anti squeak tape (3M part number 06356). The pic is of the inside of the cover.