how do you program a 2006 chevy cobalt ignition key

No Comment Added

It is very simple. Here is how to do it. You will need one learned key to do this though.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: thats gonna be a problem, you see my wife broke the key off in the ignition, so half of it is inside
You are going to have a couple of problems. Obviously getting the key out will be the first. I have done this with a set of picks, but you may find that this will be much harder and you may have to dismantle the lock cylinder to remove the broken key. Then after the broken key is out, you are going to need to have a learned key, so if you only have the one key you are really gonna be stuck due to the fact of not having a learned key. This type of procedure can only be done by a dealer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thats what i was afraid of, were already out $80 just to pull the code and cut the key, they said that depending what they had to do would determine if we would be charged, do dealers carry a learned key? and if so how much do they usually charge to do this?
They don't have a learned master key, they simply make your replacement key the new learned key. It requires a special scan tool to do though. I would figure around $50 to reprogram it, but that can change from dealer to dealer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How much does this scan tool cost? I ask because im a beginner locksmith.