John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

The security light is on and the van wont start.

When the ignition switch is turned the engine turns over, but won't run. I have replaced the ignition switch and lock cylinder. I have also replaced the fuel pump, distributor and cap, the spark plugs, and fuel filter. The "Secuity ligtht is on" and will not go off.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Did you scan the vehicles computer system to see what failure code was set ?

If so,what was the code or codes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: What year is your Chevy? 1999
-What model is your Chevy? Astro
-How many miles are on your Chevy? 122,683
-What type of engine is in your Chevy? V-6 Vin W
-What have you already tried? Scanned: No Codes,
replaced all of the spark plugs, distibutor & cap, rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition swithch and lock cylinder.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Try this first.Maybe your lock cylinder was faulty.

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Conditions

Important: If a new vehicle control module (VCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the passlockTM module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

The passlockTM module
The passlockTM sensor
The VCM

The passlockTM module will set the DTC B3031 module in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure.

Steps

Important: Erase the passlockTM related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM. If there are any powertrain related DTCs, record these DTCs and refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 4.3L

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all passlockTM module and VCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM DTCs to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 4.3L
  3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    - If the passlockTM sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    - If the passlockTM module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    - If the VCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    - If the replacement VCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  5. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, Passlock module and VCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried the technique you indicated and the security light remains on steady.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

How did this problem start out.Did you have a no start vehicle & if so,was the security light on or flashing?Was there an original failure code?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: My wife states that she drove to the park and when she returned the van would not start and the security light was on. No previous scan codes or current. She states that the light came on prior to her stopping the vehicle.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
This problem sounds like you have a passlock module failure.Once replaced everything has to be relearned.
Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician