Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

How to remove 2005 chevy impala radio

Customer Question

Cd Player just stop working
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, you will need to remove the dash trim to gain access to the radio so we will start there. If you have any questions drop me a note. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Impala

Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement (Impala)

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake.
    Object Number: 658401  Size: SH

2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

3. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
  4. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
  5. Remove the steering column filler panel.
    Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

6. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole covers.
    Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

7. Remove the screws from the I/P cluster trim plate.
  8. Starting at the right end of the I/P cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
  9. Continue working around the I/P cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the I/P trim pad.
  10. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
  11. Remove the I/P cluster trim plate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

1. Position the IP cluster trim plate to the I/P trim pad.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the hazard switch and to the traction control switch, if equipped.
  3. Press the IP cluster trim plate into the I/P trim pad until the retainers are fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the I/P cluster trim plate screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

5. Install the I/P fuse block access hole covers.
    Object Number: 658402  Size: SH

6. Align the bezel retainers to the tabs on the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 658399  Size: SH

7. Install the bezel to the ignition switch cylinder pressing into place until fully seated.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

8. Install the steering column filler panel.
  9. Return the steering wheel to the original position.
  10. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to Park and remove the key from the ignition switch cylinder.
  11. Release the parking brake.

Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Impala

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Impala

Radio Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Perform the radio set up procedure for new and reinstalled radios. Refer to Radio Setup .

Object Number: 519482  Size: SH

1. Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
  2. Remove the screws from the radio.
  3. Remove the radio from the instrument panel.
    Object Number: 443705  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the instrument panel wiring harness connector and the antenna cable connector from the radio.
  5. Remove the radio from the instrument panel.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 443705  Size: SH

1. Position the radio to the instrument panel.
  2. Connect the instrument panel wiring harness connector and the antenna cable connector to the radio.

Important: If the radio locator tab is difficult to align to the instrument panel locator opening, pull the radio toward you and reposition the antenna cable.

3. Install the radio to the instrument panel. Align the radio locator tab to the instrument panel locator opening while pressing the radio into the instrument panel until fully seated.
    Object Number: 519482  Size: SH

4. Install the screws to the radio.

Tighten
    Tighten the radio screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

5. Install the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
  6. Perform the radio set up procedure for new and reinstalled radios.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Impala
Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Impala

Radio Setup

To setup a new radio for the vehicle, complete the setup procedure under the Special Functions menu of the scan tool. Cycle the ignition. Setup is complete.

Important: The Radio Setup option does not contain a submenu. Radio Setup will configure the following systems:

Steering wheel controls
Learn VIN
DTCs
Class 2 radio messages
Country Code
Chime Volume
Chime Level
12/24 Hour Clock
Radio Tuner Calibration

Important: The Country Code option does not contain a submenu. Country Code sets the point of sale, or origin, in the radio in order to calibrate the tuner for the country that the vehicle will be used in.

To calibrate the radio, select COUNTRY CODE under the Special Functions menu on the scan tool.

Radio Chime Volume Selection

Important: The Loud Chime Volume option does not contain a submenu. This selection is used for setting the volume when the radio is replaced.

To set the chime column, select CHIME SETTINGS under the Special Functions screen and follow correct menu headings.

Bass Frequency Response

Important: The Bass Frequency Response item does not contain a submenu. This setting is used to reduce the bass output of the radio.

To set, select Bass Frequency Response under the Special Functions and follow the menu.

Document ID# XXXXX
2005 Chevrolet Impala