goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

I have a Chevy Aveo and the alarm keeps going off for no ...

Customer Question

I have a Chevy Aveo and the alarm keeps going off for no reason what do I need to do and is there a way to reset it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, if this is a factory alarm, this service information may be what is going on with your vehicle. there is some updated parts for the alarm.

Subject:Car Alarm Activates When Opening Trunk with Key, Doors Relock When Unlocking Trunk Using Remote Keyless Entry (Replace Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) #07-08-52-004 - (10/29/2007)

Models:2007-2008 Chevrolet Aveo Notchback
2007-2008 Pontiac Wave Notchback
with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints:

North America

8B009221

Europe

8B009172

All Other Areas (Excluding North America and Europe)

8B009202

Condition

Some customers may comment that the car alarm activates when the trunk is opened with the key. Also, some customers may comment that when they unlock the trunk with the remote key trunk open button, the doors relock.

Cause

The RKE operation software may have been erased by electrical "noise."

Correction

Replace the remote control door lock receiver. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement (Notchback) in SI.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

96870323

Receiver Asm, R/Con Dr Lk & (North America)

96870325

Receiver Asm, R/Con Dr Lk & (Europe and All Other Areas, Excluding North America)

Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no this is not it, Christmas eve some one tried to break in the car and set off alarm we reset alarm with key remote, ( just set off noise nothing was damaged and they ran away) now for NO REASON the alarm goes off, when it is set by remote no one or nothing around car or any reason. It started with one key and now it does not matter which key is used still does it. I have watched it go off from a window and nothing sets it off if just goes off. It has nothing to do with opening trunk.
Ok, am i undrstanding you correctly, this is not a factory alarm??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a standard alarm that comes with the vehicle when it is bought.
You set the alarm with the key remote and it goes off for no reason. I work were I can see my car and I watch it go off with out any action taken to make it go off.

Has nothing to do with opening the trunk or any one touching the car. Car does not have to be in the same spot so it is not enviromental

Ok, from what i have found, and the information you have gave me. it sounds like the door tamper switch has either been damage from theft attempt or the switch is now sticking. here is a description on how the the switch works.

Theft Deterrent Switch (Tamper Switch)

The front doors and rear compartment are equipped with tamper switches. The tamper switch attaches to the lock cylinder. The tamper switch activates by movement of the lock cylinder. The tamper switch activates under the following conditions:

Rotation of the lock cylinder caused by forced entry
The in-and-out movement caused by forced entry

Additionally, use the tamper switch in order to disarm the system. The switch grounds the disarm input to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) when the lock cylinder turns in order to unlock the door. The switch is serviceable. Remove the switch from the door latch in order to service the switch.

Mechanical failure and/or corrosion on the switch may cause the system to self-activate intermittently. Inspect the lock cylinder for looseness if this happens. Any movement of the lock cylinder with this switch can cause the switch to activate the alarm. One possible cause for this problem may be a lock cylinder retainer that is not firmly installed to the lock cylinder. Reinstall the lock cylinder retainer or replace the lock cylinder retainer with a new retainer in order to correct this problem.

If the turn signal lamps flash once when the LOCK/UNLOCK button on the transmitter is pressed, that means the content theft security system alarm was triggered.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
none of the places you have placed in this email work so you need to copy and past the information into your responce
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The items that you stated did not answer the problem and the links you sent did not work to read the information . You did try so I am releasing the money but this system has flaws in how it works... I am releasing the money only because you did try.