Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

my truck..dash, but does not ingage starter..bypass ignition

Customer Question

the ignition on my truck turns on and lights up the dash, but does not ingage starter. i need to bypass ignition with togle but do not know how to do this. can you please help me???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Just a matter of splicing a switch into the purple wire on the starter solenoid. From the solenoid to your switch, from your switch to battery power. Have you checked at the purple wire to see if it is getting voltage when the key is turned to the crank position? If you have power to the purple wire and to the battery cable connection on the solenoid both, when the key is turned to the crank position, you have a bad starter. How did you test the ignition switch? Have you checked the circuit for opens at the nuetral safety switch etc?