Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how do you open your trunk from the backseat

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, the problem you have is going to be difficult to over come at best. I am going to post the ways to open the truck at the end of this post. But, if you have a problem that keeps the trunk from opening in the normal ways and want to access it by going in through the back seat, the you will need to remove the seat cushion and the seat back to get into the trunk as the fold down seat control is also located in the trunk so you can't even fold the seats down with the trunk closed. If that is the case and you need help removing the rear seat drop me a note and I will get you some instructions for doing so. But the only other ways to open the trunk are posted below. The trunk release button is item "K" in the picture of the dash at the bottom of post. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Luggage Compartment Description and Operation (Sedan)

Rear Compartment Lid Release

The rear compartment lid can be released in one of three ways:

Inserting the key into the key lock cylinder, if equipped
Operating the rear compartment lid release switch
Using the keyless entry fob

To operate rear compartment lid with the rear compartment lid release switch or with the rear compartment release button on the key fob, the gear selector may be in any position, but vehicle speed must equal 0 for the rear compartment lid to release.

When the rear compartment lid release switch is pushed, the rear compartment lid release signal circuit to the body control module (BCM) is grounded. BCM then grounds the coil side of the trunk release relay through the trunk release relay control circuit. With this voltage is applied to the rear compartment lid release actuator, opening the rear compartment.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Instrument Panel Overview

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: C2

The main components of your instrument panel are the following:

1. Side Window Outlets.
  2. Air Outlets.
  3. Turn Signal/Multifunction Lever.
  4. Cruise Control Buttons (If Equipped).
  5. Audio Steering Wheel Controls (If Equipped).
  6. Instrument Panel Cluster.
  7. Hazard Warning Flashers Button.
  8. Windshield Wiper/Washer Controls.
  9. Audio System.
  10. Fog Lamp Button (If Equipped).
  11. Trunk Release.
  12. Instrument Panel Brightness Control.
  13. Horn.
  14. Driver Information Control Button.
  15. Cigarette Lighter (If Equipped). Accessory Power Outlet (If Equipped).
  16. Shift Lever (Manual Shown).
  17. Climate Controls.
  18. Passenger Air Bag Status Indicator and Heated Seats Button (If Equipped).
  19. Glove Box.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, BOB here is what happened, I hit a truck by backing into it. It jammed up my trunk and I couldn't open it. I didn't have my manual that is why I turned to this website. Well, here is what we did in the process of waiting for the response. . .

We took a thick stick, lifted the seats apart, then shoved the stick at the lock, it popped the the truck out and I was able to access the trunk by key on the outside. I was lucky.

Since I didn't use your advice I will go ahead and accept it because you didn't have the full idea of what happened to my car.

But thank you bob, and thank you to this website. Have a great day.

Smashed in trunk!
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Really happy to hear that you got lucky with it. And I hope that is the end of your problems for the whole year. Hope you do really great in 2008. Thanks for the accept and for using JA. It is much appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: It was very nice of you to offer the good luck. I hope so Just told my husband bye for his second tour in Iraq. So, not the best way to start 08 but things will look up. Best wishes to you and your family as well.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Well, it can't hurt, so you can be sure I will ad your husband to my prayer list. If it wasn't for guys like him doing what he is doing, none of us whould stand a chance. You tell him for me that he is really appreciated by a lot of people, who just too often don't think to express it.