Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

2001 oldsmobile silhouette: power steering..a leak..kits..replacing

Customer Question

My power steering line on my 2001 oldsmobile silhouette sprung a leak , do they make patch kits for that type of line that I am not aware of , and if not how do I go about replacing the line myself, do you know a site that I might get the info from without giving my credit info?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, they do not make a patch kit for these lines because of the high pressure that they carry. The only repair is to replace them. Instructions posted below. Thnaks

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Power Steering Pressure Pipe/Hose Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

Caution: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.

Notice: When adding fluid or making a complete fluid change, always use the proper power steering fluid. Failure to use the proper fluid will cause hose and seal damage and fluid leaks.

2. Remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear.
  3. Use a utility stand in order to support the frame rear.
  4. Remove the frame rear bolts.
  5. Use the utility stand in order to lower the frame rear to gain access.
  6. Place the drain pan under the power steering pump and the power steering gear.
    Object Number: 417973  Size: SH

7. Remove the power steering gear hose clip.
  8. Remove the inlet hose from the steering gear.
  9. Use the utility stand in order to raise the frame rear.
  10. Install the OLD frame bolts. Fully seat the frame bolts. Do NOT tighten the frame bolts.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
  12. Remove the drive belt.
    Object Number: 417974  Size: SH

13. Remove the inlet hose from the pump.
  14. Remove the inlet hose from the hose retainer.
  15. Remove the inlet hose.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the inlet hose.
    Object Number: 417974  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the inlet hose to the pump.

Tighten
    Tighten the power steering gear inlet hose fitting to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

3. Install the inlet hose to the hose retainer.
  4. Install the drive belt.
  5. Raise and support the vehicle.
  6. Use a utility stand in order to support the frame rear.
  7. Remove and DISCARD the frame rear bolts.
  8. Use the utility stand in order to lower the frame rear to gain access.
    Object Number: 417973  Size: SH

9. Install the inlet hose to the steering gear.

Tighten

10. Install the power steering gear hose clip.
  11. Use the utility stand in order to raise the frame rear.
  12. Install the NEW frame rear bolts.

Notice: Set steering shaft so the block tooth on the upper steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position, the wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead and set the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the coil.

13. Install the intermediate shaft to the steering gear.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir.
  16. Bleed the power steering system.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette