GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

2003 chevy: 4x4 and I..grinding noise..front end..wheel bearing

I have 2003 chevy silverado z71 4x4 and I''m getting a heavy grinding noise in the front end that sounds like a wheel bearing is going bad.The grinding gets a lot worse when I turn to the right while moving.

Two things that usually make noise in the front end of these are wheel bearings, and side carrier bearings in the front axle. Usually the front axle only makes noise when its locked in and isn't typically left or right specific, but speed related.

Since your noise is sensitive to left/right motion, I would have to agree on your suspicion of the wheel bearing. If it gets worse on right turns, then the left bearing is suspect, as much of the vehicles weight is shifted to the left side during a right turn.

Sometimes you can jack the truck up by the frame or control arm and shake the wheel up/down. If there is noticeable play, then the bearing is no good. These sealed hubs don't have the "play" the older repackable bearings have and therefore should be tight (no movement).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the help very much appreciated.Jack Gebbie
Have a happy new year and come back and see us if you have additional questions.