JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

1997 chevy s10 4.3l V6 Vin X, how do you set the timing, i ...

Customer Question

1997 chevy s10 4.3l V6 Vin X, how do you set the timing, i can see the mark on the pulley but cant find where it needs to line up, also i cannot figure out how to adjust the Dist cap even if i did get the marks lined up, HELP!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomermy name isXXXXX you for choosing

Ok....Here is the crankshaft timing marks.

Crankshaft rotation is clockwise when viewed from in front of the crankshaft pulley as shown in the generic image.

And this is what I got on the distributor:

NOTE : The Distributor is located in a fixed, non-adjustable position. No attempt should be made to adjust the engine base timing by rotating the distributor. Attempting to do so may result in engine cross-fire and mis-fire conditions. Timing is not adjustable.*

*Ignition timing can be changed by reprogramming the PCM using Techline Information System 2000 (TIS 2000) PC, and the Tech 2 scan tool.
Please contact dealer for necessary updates and procedures.

Let me see what else I can dig up on this distributor issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the help thought there might be some type of programming need for the timing just wasnt sure if the 97 was up to that age. appreciate the info.
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
OK...I uploaded the articles to here.

I hope it helps you. If you need the rest of them, let me know and I will get them for you.