Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how to change an oil pan gasket on a 2002 gmc ...

how to change an oil pan gasket on a 2002 gmc sonoma with 4wd
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, these are not easy. Did you get the bolts in the pan that are under the access plugs? Here are instructions right out of the GM service manual. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 GMC Truck Sonoma Pickup - 4WD

Oil Pan Replacement (4WD)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 334324  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the oil level indicator.
  3. Remove the front differential assembly.
  4. Remove the starter.
  5. Remove the transmission cover.
  6. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
  7. Remove the remote oil filter pipe adapter.
    Object Number: 344049  Size: SH

8. Remove the bolt holding the remote oil filter inlet and outlet hose clip to the oil pan.
    Object Number: 449304  Size: SH

9. Remove the stud holding the bracket for the starter wire harness and if equipped, the transmission oil cooler pipes.
    Object Number: 331034  Size: SH

10. Remove the access plugs for the oil pan rear nuts.
    Object Number: 477866  Size: SH

11. Remove the transmission to oil pan bolts (automatic transmission shown).
    Object Number: 387460  Size: SH

Important: The low oil level sensor is not reusable. Use a NEW low oil sensor.

12. Remove and discard the engine oil level sensor (if applicable).
    Object Number: 330559  Size: SH

13. Remove the oil pan bolts and nuts.
    Object Number: 330568  Size: SH

14. Remove the oil pan.
    Object Number: 387757  Size: SH

15. Remove the oil pan gasket.
  16. Discard the oil pan gasket.
  17. Clean all sealing surfaces on the engine and the oil pan.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 317310  Size: SH

Notice: Any time the transmission and the engine oil pan are off of the engine at the same time, install the transmission before the oil pan. This is to allow for the proper oil pan alignment. Failure to achieve the correct oil pan alignment can result in transmission failure.

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.197 in) wide and 25 mm (1.0 in) long bead of adhesive GM P/N 12346141 or equivalent to both the right and left sides of the engine front cover to engine block junction at the oil pan sealing surfaces.
    Object Number: 317313  Size: SH

2. Apply a 5 mm (0.197 in) wide and 25 mm (1.0 in) long bead of adhesive GM P/N 12346141 or equivalent to both the right and left sides of the crankshaft rear oil seal housing to engine block junction at the oil pan sealing surfaces.
    Object Number: 387757  Size: SH

Important: Always install a NEW oil pan gasket.
    The oil pan gasket and oil pan must be installed and the fasteners tightened while the adhesive is still wet to the touch.

3. Install the NEW oil pan gasket into the groove in the oil pan.
    Object Number: 330568  Size: SH

Important: The oil pan alignment must always be flush or forward no more than 0.3 mm (0.011 in) from the rear face of the engine block.

4. Install the oil pan onto the engine block. Press the oil pan gasket into the grooves of the engine front cover and crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
  5. Slide the oil pan back against a suitable straight edge.
    Object Number: 38496  Size: SH

6. Install the oil pan bolts and nuts, but do not tighten.
  7. Measure the pan-to-transmission housing clearance using a feeler gage and a straight edge. Use a feeler gage to check the clearance between the oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points. If the clearance exceeds 0.3 mm (0.011 in) at any of the 3 oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points (1), then repeat the step until the oil pan-to-transmission housing clearance is within the specification. The oil pan must always be forward of the rear face of the engine block.
    Object Number: 38481  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Tighten the oil pan bolts and nuts in sequence.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil pan bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

9. Measure the clearance between the 3 oil pan-to-transmission housing measurement points in order to ensure proper alignment.
    Object Number: 188048  Size: SH

10. Install a NEW oil pan drain plug seal (O-ring) onto the oil pan drain plug.
  11. Install the oil pan drain plug into the oil pan.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 387460  Size: SH

12. Install the NEW engine oil level sensor (if applicable).

Tighten
    Tighten the engine oil level sensor to 13 N·m (115 lb in).

Object Number: 477866  Size: SH

13. Install the transmission to oil pan bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the transmission to the oil pan bolts to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Object Number: 331034  Size: SH

14. Install the access plugs for the oil pan rear nuts.
    Object Number: 449304  Size: SH

15. Install the stud holding the bracket for the starter wire harness and if equipped, the transmission oil cooler pipes.

Tighten
    Tighten the bracket stud to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

16. Install the remote oil filter pipe adapter.
    Object Number: 344049  Size: SH

17. Install the bolt holding the oil filter inlet and outlet hose clip to the oil pan.

Tighten
    Tighten the hose clip bolt to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

Object Number: 334324  Size: SH

18. Install the transmission cover and bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the transmission cover bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

19. Install the starter motor.
  20. Install the front differential assembly.
  21. Install the oil level indicator.
  22. Fill the engine with engine oil.
  23. Connect the negative battery cable.

Document ID# XXXXX
2002 GMC Truck Sonoma Pickup - 4WD

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Is it possible to pull the pan without removing the front differential assembly. And the rubber plugs you are talking about are they at the rear of the pan, it looks as though the bolts are torx!!
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid you will find that if you do not drop the front differential you won't have enough room to get the pan out. Yes, the access plugs are for the rear retainers on the oil pan, you will find a couple more under them. You will have to forgive me it has been a couple of years since I have removed one of these, but I do remember that they were a bugger. I really can't remember if there are any torx type retainers or not. Retirement stinks, you forget way to much way to fast. I also remember the rubber plugs were a bugger to get out, if I recall correctly. Thanks