MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience
1698514

My 1970 Chevy C10 brake lights quit working. The parking ...

My 1970 Chevy C10 brake lights quit working. The parking & signal lights work but the brake lights don''t. What is causing this problem?

Hello

You need to test for power going to brake switch,it is located underdash follow brake pedal and you will find the switch...if no voltage to switch check fuse....if power to switch then check for power coming out of switch....a test light will be good enough to perform these tests.....also check to see if turn signals work properly.....let me know

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: HelloCustomer
The brake switch has power in & out of it, the turn signals work properly & parking lights work also. Is there something else I can do?

Helllo

Follow output wire to turn signal make sure it is connected and has power then check for out put to brake wires you probably have a bad turn signal switch since the brakes go thru the switch.....sorry no wire diagram

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: HelloCustomer
The output wire is connected to turn signal I have wire diagram & it looks like outfeed is either dark green or yellow wire which goes to taillight rt. & lft. Are the brakes on the bright filament of the bulb or the dim filament? The signals show on the bright & the parking are on the dim.

The brake lights will be the bright filament ....test that wire with the turn signal.....should get a flash...then turn off signal and test for brake signal...no light replace switch..let me know

HAPPY HOLIDAYS