roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

2000 Corvette: evap..check engine light..Have checked gas cap seems ok

Customer Question

I have evap code PO442 (small leak) and check engine light is on. 2000 Corvette. Have checked gas cap seems ok. Anything else I can check before taking to shop?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 8 years ago.

Hi Race cap,did you check the cap with a tester or do a visual,sometimes spaying with silicone spray on the seal corrects the problem or the cap can be defective. Next would be to look at all hoses leading to the fuel tank and canister for loose or cracked connections.If nothing can be seen,it is best to have it tested at a shop with a scan toll that can activate the control valves and test the system with the use of a smoke machine.The code you have is set when the system detects a leak with a .020 inch opening,its pretty small.