Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

Reasons my brake lights are not working on my 2000 Chevy Cavalier?

Customer Question

What are the reasons my brake lights are not working on my 2000 Chevy Cavalier?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: 2000 Chevy Cavalier
88,000 miles
2.2 liter engine
Have ghange the fuses for the brake lights
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sonny,

The most common reason for the brake lights not working, if the fuse has voltage coming to it and coming out of it, is the brake light switch. This assumes that ALL of the brake lights are not working, including the high-mounted center light. If the center light works, but the rear lights do not, then the problem is most likely the turn signal assembly.

Here are the instructions to replace the brake light switch, and a schematic of the system, at the end.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the drivers side instrument panel trim panel/sound insulator.

3. Detach the switch electrical connector.

4. Remove the switch from the retainer by grasping it and pulling it toward the rear of the car.

graphic
Fig. 1: The brake light switch is mounted on the brake pedal

To install:

1. Insert the brake light switch into the retainer until the switch body seats on the retainer.

2. Adjust the brake light switch, as follows:

1. Pull the brake pedal upward against the internal pedal stop. The switch will be moved in the retainer providing proper adjustment.

Proper switch adjustment is achieved when no clicks are heard as the pedal is pulled upward and when the brake lights do not stay on without brake application.

1. Attach the switch electrical connector.

2. Install the hush panel/sound insulator.

3. Connect the negative battery cable.

graphic

If this helps, please click accept. If you have more questions, just let me know.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sonny.

I just wanted to check and see if you got a chance to check that switch, or if you had any other symptoms you wanted to tell me about?

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.