dgan, Shop Owner
Experience:  30 years automotive tech

85 Caprice: it possable to buy pass the switch

I have an 85 Caprice station wagon that will not start.the column has been lose and i had to move the column around to get it to start.Now it wont do anything.Idiot lights don''t come on or anything.what wires gong to the column go to the it possable to buy pass the switch.i have a column out of a 78 catalina.will that work?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  dgan replied 8 years ago.
Hi there:
When the steering columns get loose, they start to bend and move things that should be aligned precisely. What has happened, is the rack gear (refer to the picture below) has bent and will not grab the actuator rod anymore to pull the ignition switch. It has bent so much that it has fallen off the rod altogether. Now your key turns but it's not moving anything but a gear behind it.
You've damaged the part with the red arrow graphic

The least expensive way to repair this is the most efrfective way to repair it. Replace the rack gear and tighten the steerin gcolumn tilt bolts while you're in there, or replace the column with a used one. There are lots of pieces and they have to go ONLY ONE WAY. If you think you're up to it, I can send you step by step instructions (about 35 steps), but if not, I;d call a qualified mobile repair company, or tow the to a shop. You will however need 3 specific tools to do the job, a steering wheel puller, a lock spring compressor and a pivot pin puller. I don;t mean to discourage you, but you;re going into the heart of a steering column.
the other option is to replace th column with a used on.

Let me know if you need more info or direction.