Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

1999 Chevy Blazer: 4x4..In 2 wheel drive..vibration..passenger side

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4. InXXXXX when going on the expressway, it starts to make a noise like a "router" (high pitch grinding, that varies with speed) As I slow down, the noise lowers in pitch and I can feel a vibration that seems to be located in front of the passenger side. The noise stops after a slight "click" when I finally get down to about 3 miles per hour. It doesn't start again until I am doing at least 50 mph. There is no noise inXXXXX I am also having a vacuum problem because the vents don't work as well as they used to. I found a short (about 8 in. long) rubber vacuum line that was not connected to anything that was tucked under the ABS manifold, but I couldn't find where it came from. (I had a new engine put in in June) could this be a simple vacuum problem? Is there a vacuum connection to the transfer case, that is, the 2 toXXXXXactuator? Any idea where that shor rubber hose goes to?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
Check the vacum routing diagram under the hood and I believe that hose attaches to the vacum reservoir on the left fender either to a connector or a dead end attaching point. If that noise isn't present in 4WD then suspect the front differential has worn internal bearings as the noise isn't present in 4WD because there is a load on the bearings versus no load in 2WD. Let me know if you can't find where that vacum hose goes ok.