RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level

2002 Chevy Cavalier: Rear Brakes..drum,shoes, new assembly

2002 Chevy Cavalier Rear Brakes grab, we have replaced drum,shoes, new assembly. worked fine for around 1000 miles, I am now having the same problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JA,

• Have you identified if it is just the one wheel in the rear grabbing or both? If your unsure, you need to jack up the rear wheels after this has occured and spin them by hand to determine which ine it is.
  • Did you replace the brake hardware in the rear as well?
  • How many miles are on this Cavalier?
  • Were the brakes grabbing BEFORE they were replaced 1000 miles ago?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Cavalier has 65,000 miles. Rear brakes and drum were replaced in August. The Grabbing started. In November hardware was replaced. Grabbing went away for about 1000 miles. Grabbibg has started again. I think it is only the driver side rear wheel. Wheel cylinder was not replaced.
Expert:  RIP replied 8 years ago.

Alright, I believe you either have the shoes on incorrectly or bad brake shoe material. See the illustration below, there are two shows for each side...the primary and the secondary. The primary is #29 in the picture, it always goes on the side closer to the front of the car, it also has less material at the top near the wheel cylinder...this helps the shoe not to grab the drum. The shoes are all identical and can be easily switched around. I've opened new packages with all primary's in there or all secondaries, so if you don't do rear brakes often, you wouldn't even realize this. Check the shoes, if they're incorrect, turn them around...if they look fine, try another set and return these...also be sure no brake fluid/grease is contacting the shoes this will also cause them to grab, and use the illustration to double check the hardware was installed properly. If one spring is backwards it'll cause grabbing as well.