Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Malibu: turn signal..bulb..the one screw from the hard plastic molding

I want to replace a turn signal bulb in my malibu. I unscrewed the one screw from the hard plastic molding which is attached to the len but it won''t come lose. Is something else holding it that I don''t see. Thanks,Mitch
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hello, sending 2 sets of instructions for the rear lights. One is for a regular sedan other is fo an extended sedan. If it happen to be the front drop me a note. Thanks

Tail Lamp Assembly and /or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement (Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Open the rear compartment.
  2. Remove the screws from the tail lamp.
  3. From the inside of the rear compartment, pull back the side trim panel. Remove the wing nut from the tail lamp.
  4. Pull the tail lamp rearward to disengage the tail lamp from the quarter panel.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the tail lamp wiring harness.
  6. Remove the tail lamp, stoplamp, and backup lamp sockets by rotating the sockets counterclockwise.
  7. Remove the bulbs from the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the bulbs to the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets.
  2. Install the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets to the tail lamp. Rotate the sockets clockwise until fully seated.
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the tail lamp wiring harness.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Position the tail lamp to the quarter panel. Ensure that the 2 locking pins are seated.
  5. Install the tail lamp screws to the tail lamp.

Tighten
    Tighten the tail lamp screw to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

6. From the inside of the rear compartment, install the wing nut to the tail lamp.
  7. Install the trim panel.
  8. Close the rear compartment lid.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Tail Lamp Assembly and /or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement (Extended Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Open the liftgate.
  3. Pull the tail lamp rearward to disengage the tail lamp from the quarter panel.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the tail lamp wiring harness.
  5. Remove the tail lamp, stop lamp, and backup lamp sockets by rotating the sockets counterclockwise.
  6. Remove the bulbs from the tail lamp, backup lamp, and/or stop lamp sockets.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. Install the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets to the tail lamp. Rotate the sockets clockwise until the sockets are fully seated.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Position the tail lamp to the quarter panel. Ensure that the 2 locating pins are seated.

Tighten

6. Close the liftgate.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: i pulledthe carpeting back in the trunk and there
are no wing nuts there's nothing back there
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
waiting for your reply
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
Hm, that us strange. Unless you have the extended sedan in which case there doesn't appear to be any wing nuts. Just the screws. And it looks like there is at least 2 screws in each of them close to the lip when you open the trunk. If it is the extended model, it may be the lamp is just stuck on the alignment pins also. If you still have a problem with it, I will try to get a hold of one of the fellows who may be more familiar with it. Let me know. Thanks