roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

P01345 diagnostic code, cam and crank sensor replaced, new ...

P01345 diagnostic code, cam and crank sensor replaced, new distributor, new cap, rotor and wires. Runs rough. Any ideas, now they think that a valve is hanging and the head needs to be torn apart but not sure until they do exploratory surgery. This is a 2002 Astro AWD with the 4.3L Vortec V6. It did have a P0300 misfire code but that cleared.
Hello, Has the cam retard been checked with a scan tool? The code is set when the sync between the cam an crank sensor is off . The ideal is zero,most can run with from+4 to -4 with out setting the code. You can adjust it slightly by moving the dist,may have to grind the tab to permit moving. The scan to then must be used to do a relearn and the reading taken again. If it is off by more than 6 degrees,the problem is usually a worn dist. gear or wear in the timing chain and gears.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: I will have my mechanic check these. So you do not think it is a valve issue? Can I get back to you since you are the person that replied?
Hi, If its running ok, with no miss I wouldn't think you have a valve problem. The p0300 is random misfire code that could have been caused by sticky valves. If you still have that problem,I would try a treatment with GM top engine cleaner.The p1345 relates to the cam crank sync. The dist. gears wearing has been common. You can post back to this same question. It remains open for you,Jerry