Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

Where is the fuel pump fuse on an 94 chevy astro van 4.

Customer Question

where is the fuel pump fuse on an 94 chevy astro van 4.3 L, thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
It will be in the dash fuse box, but it will be called the ECM fuse. Have you checked at the gray wire going to the tank for power when someone turns the key on and cranks the motor? It should have power for a couple of seconds when the key is turned on and then go away. (normal) Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: I did check the grey wire and their is no power at all but i did run and direct line the the fuel pump from the battery and ground, the pump worked. There is a ecm1 and a ecm-b and both fuses are in good shape. The relay I have also replaced and that would be the one closest the the engine, I think i got the right one.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

I Jason, I may go away because we are having server problems with the site today, but don't give up on us.

If you don't have power to or from the relay let me know and I will try to find you a wiring diaram. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again for your help Bob. I do not have power going to the relay. Both of the ecm fuses are ok.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

See if this diagram is any help. Let me know if I can assist further. Thanks Site seems to be stable again at the moment.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again for the help. I noticed the fuel pump oil pressure switch and do not know where it is or what it is could this be the problem and where would it be?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

It is located by the distributor on the V6 motor, just to the rear of the intake manifold.. Just screws into the block. Possible but doubtful that it is the problem, but you could try a jumper wire around it. It should only come into play after the motor is running. It is a failsafe, to shut the pump down in the event of lost oil pressure in the motor, to keep from doing damage to the motor. Let me know how you make out. Be sure to put a wrench on the fitting that it screws into (brass) breaks e-z.Thanks

J 41712 Oil Pressure Switch Socket.
Object Number: 348085  Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did try the jumper wire but to none effect, the relay is still not getting power. Do you have any sujestions of where to go from here.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Next step would be to trace the orange wire that powers the relay and hope you don't have an ecm problem. I think the same wire powers the oil pressure sending unit. Let me know.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

I'm going to send you a couple more diagrams that may help. My fear is that if you don't have a wiring issue, it may be something related to the control module. Let me know how you make out. These are a different year, but the colors etc. are the same

'

FIGURE Fuel Delivery(c)

Object Number: 509469  Size: FS

FIGURE Fuel Mixture Input Controls(c)

Object Number: 509565  Size: FS

Document ID#

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bob this is Jason, being Christmass and all I did not have much time but I do think I found the problem. I did ckeck the circut and the orange wire does go to the oil pressure swich, is that the oil sending unit? I need to put the ignition back together and see if it works but the ground wire to the starter was disconnected. I hooked a testlight to the positive post on the battery and touched the terminal on the starter and it lit up but the wire did not. This is not my van but a friend of mine, he told me that he tried to replace that connection. Did not do a good job of it cause the wire pulled completly out of the sleeve. Maby thats it, or am I off track?