Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2001 Chevy Blazer wont start. It turns over, but ...

Customer Question

2001 Chevy Blazer won't start. It turns over, but that's it and it does have gas but asks as if it doesn't. Normally can get it started after a few tries, but not this time. What do you think are the most likely problems that we should look into first?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
First verify that it has spark to the plugs. Pull a couple of plugs and rest them on the motor so they are grounded and with the plug wires connected have someone crank the motor over while you watch for spark. If you get good hot spark at the plugs the ignition system is ok. If so, then try some spray starting fluid in the intake and see if it will fire up and run on the starting fluid. If so, we have a fuel delivery problem and will need to test the fuel system next. Let me know what you find. Thanks
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Thanks for the prompt response. I was/am suspicious of a fuel problem, pump or filter, and was considering starting fluid but can't get to it tonight, so we'll try tomorrow - starting fluid is quicker and easier than pulling a plug or two... So we'll start there tomorrow (the vehicle is 20 miles away where I work).

Assuming it's a fuel delivery problem, where can I find the pump & filter and is that where I should focus my attention? I'll be happy to "accept" if you lead me the right way - even if it turns out not to be fuel related.

Thanks,
Paul
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
If you get it to try to run on the starting fluid, the next step will be to check the pump. I will want you to use a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter to test the gray wire going to the top of the fuel tank. It should have voltage for the first few seconds when the key is turned to start and the motor begins to crank. After a few seconds, it will go out or loose the voltage, normal. But if it gets voltage when you first try to start it and you have no fuel pump action, then the pump is bad. Hate to say it but the pump is inside the fuel tank and the tank needs to come out to replace the pump. The filter is under the truck on the drivers side frame rail. Let me know how you make out and what you find. I will be here if you need more help with it. Not always, but sometimes if you smack the bottom of the fuel tank in the center while someone works the starter, it will make a lazy pump work again for awhile. Just beat on the bottom of the tank while it is being cranked on and if it starts, drive it straight home or to where ever it is going to be worked on as it may not start again. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bob,
Thanks for your help and honesty regarding smacking the bottom of the fuel tank... Looks like we have some "fun" ahead of us. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Great advice, insight & knowledge,
Thanks,
Paul

"Accepted"
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the accept and please do keep me informed. I will be here if you need me. Just drop a note. Thanks and good luck with it.