Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1992 chevy: the emergency brake is stuck

Customer Question

i have a 1992 chevy silverado and the emergency brake is stuck. how can i fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Is it frozen from ice (i dont know where you live)

Do you use it regularlly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: No I do not use it regularly (probably only 3 or 4 times a year). The last few times I have used it - I noticed when you "pull the lever" to release the brake....... it is sort of broken. Today I went to use it and now it is totally broken and the truck won't move. (Although I live in Illinois and we have ice today - I had the problem during the summer, too.) In my "i know nothing about trucks" opinion, it seems like it could be maybe rusted?????? when i get under the steering wheel and try to see where the cable goes...............i see a "spring like" contraption????? Does this help?

Sorry for the delay,,,very busy with this crazy weather..

The reason i asked if it was used on a regular basis, is because unless its used ALL the time, rust will build up in the cable housing and it wont release,,,cable replacement is probably thew fix, sometimes you can lube the hell out of it with WD-40 and it will loosen, but that takes time and you probably want to drive it :-)

Here's what you can try,,,on the driver side, crawl underneath and grab the cable and pull real hard then let it "snap back",,,do this a few times and sometimes it will free up,,,other than that, its not an easy fix and you will have to resort to the wd-40 and let it soak for 1/2 hour or so, then try it again..you might be able to back off the adjuster for the rear cables, they split off right in that area i was talking about,,,driver side, about 2/3 of the way back from front.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Happy Holidays!

.

Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I am not sure i know exactly which one is "THE cable" but i will try to "spray everything" with wd-40 and see what happens. It makes me laugh - I had my 27 year old son with me and i told him "why don't we spray it with wd-40" (and even gave him a towel to not make a mess.....) and he thought his mom was CRAZY. I will try to wd-40 tomorrow and see if i can figure it out.....if the cable needs to be replaced - is that something "I" could do? Thanks again!

Hey, if you still need to ask me some more questions, do it,,it wont cost extra :-)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i don't know if i can still get you - but is there anyway to show me a PICTURE of the cable,etc - so I know which one I should be dealing with? Also, how to REPLACE the cable if necessary? Thanks so much - I really appreciate it!

Hi

This should help you see how it is routed.