Mark Bisig
Mark Bisig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  28 years at a Chevrolet Dealer, ASE Master Technician, GM Master Technician

1995 chevrolet: pickup..a 4 speed automatic transmission that..shift

Customer Question

i have a 1995 chevrolet pickup with a 4 speed automatic transmission that will only shift into the next gear when you let off the gas what can i do to fix this problem
Submitted: 8 years ago via
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark Bisig replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer The first thing to do is replace the fuel filter. If it is plugged it can cause this to happen. Let me know if this corrects it or if we need to go farther. ...Mark
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bisig's Post: the fuel filter has been changed because a full tune up was done when i bought the truck.the truck runs fine other then you have to bring the rpm's up to 4500 and let off the gas to get it to shift into the next gear
Ok you had a tune up done but are you 100 percent sure that the fuel filter was replace when they it. It is hard to believe that a fuel filter can cause this happen but it can.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes,only because i did it myself 2 weeks ago i know my way around a vehicle but this one has me stumped
Ok I'm sorry. The throttle position senson is a sensor that controls shifts and shift points. Do you have a scanner to check the data from the TPS? This would really be the other thing to make this happen. When you leave a stop sign and accel with just a little throttle it won't ever shift into the next gear. You have to get to like 4000 rpm's which is like putting your foot into it. One other thing, does it feel like the engine has a lot of power?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my computer only does 1996 and newer and i don't remember the paper clip trick. but when you take off at a 1/3 throttle sometimes you can get it to shift into 2nd gear other wise if you take off at 3/4 throttle or more the truck has power but the transmission will not shift on it's own unless you let off the throttle but when you do that it seems like it goes from first to 3rd the reason why i say that is because the rpm's go from 4500 right done to 1800 and when your doing 60 its running at about 2200
Shawn, This still sounds to me, because I have driven trucks that have done this like you have a lack of fuel or the Cat-Con is plugged. The lack of fuel could be the fuel pump, can you do a pressure test on it? You could test the back pressure by removing a 02 sensor or disconnecting the exhaust at the manifold. Have you cleaned the bottom of the TBI unit? There are passages that go to the MAP sensor and other vacuum ports that could plug up with carbon. If you have compressed air blow into the port that the MAP sensor connects to. Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i will check these items but i have one last question why would a lack of fuel or a clogged caddy make it seem like it skips over 2nd gear
The computer is shifting the trans to the gear that is needed. When you let off the gas pedal the gear needed is 3rd because the speed your going. One other thing came to mind. I have seen the fuel injectors on these just cut out, not spray for no good reason. When this happens the engine will run on only 4 cylinders and still run pretty well. Maybe you could try something like removing the plug from the top of one of the fuel injectors and drive the truck to see what happens. Just something that came to mind. Wish I could drive your truck!!

Shawn, If you can't ever get the trans into 2nd and it goes to what seems like 3rd you might just need a new transmission shift solenoid. If your going to replace 1 you might as well do both of them. Here is a picture to help locate them if needed. Let me know.

• .
    Object Number: 13884  Size: SH

• Remove the shift solenoid retainers.
    Object Number: 13364  Size: SH