Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

how do i bleed a 2000 gmc sonoma clutch master cylinder

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, GM's preferred method to bleed the system, is to use a vacuum bleeder, below is a bulletin from GM about it. If you do not have access to a vacuum bleeder, your in for a lot of hassle as the systems are really a bear to get to bleed manually. The manual way is the same as bleeding brakes, except your only bleeding one cylinder. If you have access to a brake fluid can that pumps the fluid out of the can to fill the master let me know as I have one other method that works better than the regular way. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2000 GMC Truck Sonoma Pickup

Subject:Info - Improved Bleeding Procedure for Hydraulic Clutch Release System #01-07-31-002B - (11/01/2006)

Models:2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2007 and Prior Chevrolet and GMC 6-7F T-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2007 and Prior Isuzu F-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2006-2007 HUMMER H3

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-31-002A (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers of an improved procedure to aid in the ease of bleeding the clutch hydraulic system for the above listed vehicles. This procedure can be used anytime air is introduced into the hydraulic system. Following this procedure may also reduce the number of unnecessary parts replaced for low clutch pedal reserve and high shift effort.

1. Verify that all the lines and fittings are dry and secure.
  2. Clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.
  3. Remove the reservoir cap.
  4. Fill the reservoir to the proper level with the required fluid.
  5. Attach the J 43485 (Adapter) to the J 35555 (Mity Vac), or equivalent.

Important: Brake fluid will deteriorate the rubber on J 43485. Use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid after each use.

6. Place and hold the adapter on the reservoir filler neck to ensure a tight fit. In some cases, the adapter will fit into the reservoir opening.
  7. Apply a vacuum of 51-68 kPa (15-20 hg) and remove the adapter.
  8. Refill the reservoir to the proper level.
  9. Repeat Steps 6 and 7.
  10. If needed, refill the reservoir and continue to pull a vacuum until no more bubbles can be seen in the reservoir or until the fluid level no longer drops.

Caution: The vehicle will move if started in gear before the Actuator Cylinder is refilled and operational. Start the vehicle the first time in neutral to help prevent personal injury from vehicle movement and see if the transmission will shift easily into gear.

11. Pump the clutch pedal until firm (to refill actuator cylinder).
  12. Add additional fluid if needed.
  13. Test drive vehicle to ensure proper operation.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2000 GMC Truck Sonoma Pickup