Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2005 malibu: My gas..how much gas is inthe tank I Just fill up my tank

Customer Question

My gas hand in my chevy 2005 malibu goes all the up are all the down. I do not know how much gas is inthe tank I Just fill up my tank every two days . what is wrong .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.
These cars have had a couple of different issues on the fuel levels being erratic or incorrect. The most likely problem would regard the fuel level sensor being faulty. These have been a real trouble on all the gm cars and trucks. The other thing that may be a problem is the fuel tank itself. There are a few cases that the fuel tanks were misformed and would not allows for the proper fuel level to be shown. Most of the time this was at the full point. The level sensor could not travel fully and would not show to be full. The procedure to figure out your problem is going to require a class 2 scan tool like most repair facilites have. This tool will have the ability to check for trouble codes and to also monitor that wha the fuel level sensor is doing is what the gauge is telling. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck!