Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.

1991 chevy: crankshaft sensor located

Customer Question

where is the crankshaft sensor located on a 1991 chevy silverado pickup truck? We cant seem to find the 2 wires that you should be able to see.... thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.

In 1991 on 4.3 V6 - 5.0 - 5.7 V8.the pick-up coil and module are used for starting and timing along with injector signal

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to cctmstr's Post: cctmstr....

in all respect because you are a mast tech and i am not...However did u not see i asked the POSITION of the crankshaft sensor NOT its function....i know its function and its NOT question started out with WHERE??

i asked WHERE is it located....i a have general idea below the pully at bottom of engine but cannot locate it or the two wires i should be able to see on my 1991 chevy silverado Z71 V8 1500 series pickup...
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
You asked the location.I am sorry .A crankshaft position sensor does not exist externally on the motor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i didnt ask if it was external or internal i asked the LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know theres 2 bolts to dismount this from the engine....however i cannot fine the 2 wires that come off the sensor...

im ASKING LOCATION OF CRANKSHAFT SENSOR....that all if u cant help me....please send my question elsewhere....
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for the Misunderstanding, but as cctmstr last stated:

There is NO Crankshaft Position Sensor on this year Pick up.

The Ignition System is still off the Camshaft thru to Distributor, Coil & EST, with the Knock Sensor to help control Timing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: lurch...

BIG misunderstanding because i dont see where he stated this part wasnt on this truck....i asked position of part and he said "u asked position im sorry"

also these parts u speak of were already replaced....

....however there is a crankshaft sensor on this truck it stated so in Hayes repair manual we have for this truck...

If this is a 1991 Chevrolet P.U, V/8..........
There is NO Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Crankshaft Position Sensor was not Installed on trucks until 1995

Is there a specific problem you are having that is making you look for a Crankshaft Sensor?