Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

2001 Chevy Impala: it came with a factory am/fm stereo..OEM..swap

I just got a 2001 Chevy Impala and it came with a factory am/fm stereo (no cd or cassette). I just bought an OEM radio/cassette/cd off of Ebay for a 2001 Chevy Impala. How do I get the dash apart in order to just swap the parts? Also, will it just use the same plug or do I need a different attachment. Both are OEM parts for the Impala. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

You can install the radio but it will not work until it is programmed to match the body control module in your car. Each radio is set up to only work in the car it was installed in and has to match the control module in that car because of the theft system. You will need to have the dealer program the unit to match your car when you are done. You may even want to write down all the numbers on the radio in case the dealer needs them for reference. Instructions below. Thanks

Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement (Impala)

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake.
    Object Number: 658401  Size: SH

2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

3. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
  4. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
    Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

5. Remove the access covers from the right and the left instrument panel (IP) fuse block, as required.
    Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

6. Remove the screws from the IP cluster trim plate.
  7. Starting at the right end of the IP cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
  8. Continue working around the IP cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the IP trim pad.
  9. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
  10. Remove the IP cluster trim plate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

1. Position the IP cluster trim plate to the IP trim pad.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the hazard switch and to the traction control switch, if equipped.
  3. Press the IP cluster trim plate into the IP trim pad until the retainers are fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the IP cluster trim plate screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

5. Install the access covers to the right and the left IP fuse block, as required.
    Object Number: 658402  Size: SH

6. Position the bezel retainers to the tabs on the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 658399  Size: SH

7. Install the bezel to the ignition switch cylinder pressing into place until fully seated.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

8. Return the steering wheel to the original position.
  9. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to Park and remove the key from the ignition switch cylinder.
  10. Release the parking brake.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Impala
Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Impala

Radio Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Perform the radio set up procedure for new and reinstalled radios.

Object Number: 519482  Size: SH

1. Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
  2. Remove the screws from the radio.
  3. Remove the radio from the instrument panel.
    Object Number: 443705  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the instrument panel wiring harness connector and the antenna cable connector from the radio.
  5. Remove the radio from the instrument panel.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 443705  Size: SH

1. Position the radio to the instrument panel.
  2. Connect the instrument panel wiring harness connector and the antenna cable connector to the radio.

Important: If the radio locator tab is difficult to align to the instrument panel locator opening, pull the radio toward you and reposition the antenna cable.

3. Install the radio to the instrument panel. Align the radio locator tab to the instrument panel locator opening while pressing the radio into the instrument panel until fully seated.
    Object Number: 519482  Size: SH

4. Install the screws to the radio.

Tighten
    Tighten the radio screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

5. Install the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
  6. Perform the radio set up procedure for new and reinstalled radios.

Document ID# XXXXX
2001 Chevrolet Impala
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)