Mark Bisig
Mark Bisig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  28 years at a Chevrolet Dealer, ASE Master Technician, GM Master Technician
6920264

1998 chevy lumina LTZ: need wiring diagram..instrument panel

Customer Question

need wiring diagram for 1998 chevy lumina LTZ parking lights/instrument panel
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark Bisig replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer I'm sure if you can read this wiring diagram. Let me know!

Cluster, Park/Turn Lamps(c)
Object Number: 522595  Size: FS

Mark Bisig, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 28 years at a Chevrolet Dealer, ASE Master Technician, GM Master Technician
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bisig's Post: Mark,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bisig's Post: Mark,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bisig's Post: Mark,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bisig's Post: Mark, I have a condition where I have no instrument cluster lites, no side marker lamps, and no rear parking lamps. everything else works, and all fusese are good. Any thoughts?
This sounds like you need a new headlight switch. Have you installed one yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try that next....that was my thought too, but it's good to get a second opinion
let me know how you make out
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mark...I tried replacing the headlamp switch in the dash and it did not fix the problem. this condition started when my son installed a new radio/cd player in the dash ( big surprise!) It appears that the only wiring he touched was the audio wiring bundle, and I have looked it over and it looks sound. Everything he installed works fine...is there any connection between the audio circuit and the parking lite circuit?

Hi, now there is more info to go with. My son is doing that stuff all the time for other people. Here is a wire diagram with the radio in the picture. I would check both of the wires that come from the head light switch to the radio to make sure that they are not connected to something!!

FIGURE Cell 150: Power, Headlamp Switch, Radio, SIR Coil, (SEO) Accessory Switch/Diode, PCM, Ground(c)

Object Number: 522752  Size: FS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you..........here is hoping..!!!

Your Welcome

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mark, I checked to make sure those two wires were not connected to the radio, and they were not. After grilling my son, here is what he said happened when "the lights went out". They had disconnected the battery cables when they were doing the radio/ CD wiring. when they finished, they connected the negative to the battery and then tried to connect the positive cable( I would have done it the opposite ) When they touched the positive it kept arcing/sparking. They attched it anyway, and then noticed that the dash lights and rear parking lites were out. That is why I went immediately to the fuses. they all look good visually...I did not do a continuity check..could it possibly be bad even if it looks good? I was/am still perplexed why only this circuit was affected. Any thoughts?
Lets be sure that the fuse isn't blown, maybe change it out with another in the fuse box just to see what happens. You said the rear lights and dash lights are out, does that mean the front parking lights are good? Sometimes a fuse will just crap out for no good reason...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mark...spent the weekend trying to fix the problem with no success. I checked all fuses (continuity check), removed the new radio from the circuit, checked all wiring for shorts and bad connections.I tried doing some voltage checks at certain points, but not having a full schematic, I wasn't sure what I should be getting. I have found that the instrument cluster, rear parking lites, license plate lite, and front and rear side marker lites are all dead. The windshield resv. is not installed, so that electrical connector is not attached, but I can't see that would make a difference. Is there any common thread that would effect these specific lites? Running out of options....

Lets make sure you have power on the orange wire going into the headlight switch.

When the switch is ON, power comes out of the brown wire.

Did this happen?

If not and you have power going in on the orange wire, the switch is bad. No power on the orange wire, blown fuse in the fuse box under hood for the park lights.

Let me know. Here is a diagram.

FIGURE Cell 110: Power, Headlamp Switch, DRL Module, Instrument Cluster, Park/Turn Lamps(c)

Object Number: 522595  Size: FS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mark...I finally found a broken connection where the orange wire leaves the fuse to go to the headlight switch. I bypassed the fuse and connected a hot 12vdc orange lead to the switch and everything came back on. I appreciate all your help and will certainly recommend you and your services in the future. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Buffalo, New York
Thank you for using JA