GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

How do you remove the oil pump drive shaft from the 3.4 ...

How do you remove the oil pump drive shaft from a 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4 liter?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 6 years ago.

Hello! If your not there yet, you'll need to remove the throttle body to gain access to it, or uppper intake, whichever is easiest for you. Then you'll need to remove the hold down. Thats all that holds it in. It will feel "stuck" because of the large sealing O-ring thats on it. I usually grab it with very large pliers, twist it a few times and pull straight up. If need be, you can pry with a small screwdriver while you pull up. Once out, you can see the other drive shaft down inside. If you need to remove that, you can use skinny needle nose pliers, but DON'T DROP IT!

Getting it back in can be a little tricky as well. Make sure you lubricate the O-ring with oil then drop it in. If it won't go down to the O-ring, take it all the way out, turn a few degrees and drop back in. You are trying to get the oil pump shaft lined up. Once lined up, it will drop in to the O-ring. Then just use hand force to seat it all the way and bolt back down.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to GMTechBernard's Post: GMTechBernard:

1.On the 3.4 liter,is the upper intake you're referring to what some people call the intake plenum? (The air duct that bolts to the intake manifold.)

2. In order to access oil pump drive shaft, do I also have to remove the actual intake manifold which bolts to the heads?

3. Please verify that removal of the head is not required for oil pump drive shaft removal.

If you could please refer to these questions by number when you reply, that would greatly help.

Thanks, Bernard.

What is the 8th digit of the VIN? Its not an "X" is it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the 8th character in VIN is X, and many parts people have led me to believe it's an X engine.

OK, I saw 3.4 and thought 3400 which is easy. The 3.4 "X" motor is a challange. Technically, you are "supposed" to remove the head to change that O-ring.

If you need a shortcut, you can save a little off the head and shave a little off the housing and that will allow you enough room to access the O-ring. you'll have to stretch the old one off and stretch the new one on. Its kinda shady, but if your in a bind, you can make it work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to GMTechBernard's Post: Bernard:

Fabulous! But I still need to know, please, on the 3.4 liter X will I need to remove the actual intake manifold from the heads to be able to get access to do your head-shaving trick?

And are the heads for the 3.4 liter X steel or aluminum?

When you reply, be sure to remind me again to accept, so I can get you paid. When I have another question at justanswer.cars in the future, can I specifically request you, GMTechBernard?

Its been awhile since I worked on one (I try to avoid them), but I think the water crossover or thermostat housing is in the way, meaning you will have to take both upper and lower intake off.

Good luck and hope this helped!

Experience: GM