MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience

97 k1500 4wd. I was looking to remove the ball joints. I ...

97 k1500 4wd. I was looking to remove the ball joints. I tried to remove the rivets to put in the new ball joint, but the rivets would not come out. Any advise on how to do this easier?

Try using a chisel and hammer...then punch rivet out with hammer and punch...or you can center punch the rivet and drill it out ...make sure not to damage holes in control arm..if you have any questions jusy ask

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have done that. THe issue is that the rivet would not pop out. I drilled one hole out and it may not be square. That means from your note that I will need to replace the arm, is that correct?

What about the lower one on this unit. It looks like it is pressed in, but the tool would not remove.

I may have to buy a new upper arm, but would like not to buy the lower one. Thanks.

I will accept after you help on the lower. The upper one I tried what you said before I wrote, I did remove the the control arm from the car to replace the bushings, now I guess that will be easier with the new control arm... ;)

You will need a ball joint press it is available at Autozone in their loaner program FREE (may require deposit) for lower ball joint

Don't worry a bout one hole , but you may want to remove the arm and go to local shop and have them use an air hammer to get other rivets out...let me know

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Thanks. I used the tool. I used a air hammer on it and it would not compress. I will take the Control Arm to the shop to have it cleared. I have a air hammer, but could not get it out. Very weird. But one hole is ok?
Oh yeah the others will line up the ball joint ...if using a small compressor it may not produce enough air for the tool...they ain't that ez to remove as you have witnessed....thanks for using JA and good luck