Mark Bisig
Mark Bisig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  28 years at a Chevrolet Dealer, ASE Master Technician, GM Master Technician

Own a 2000 impala heater core is bad need to remove and ...

Customer Question

Own a 2000 impala heater core is bad need to remove and replace. By the number how do i do it? what is the diffcultly level of this project? thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark Bisig replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer Is the heater core leaking or just plugged up and you have no heat. If it is just plugged you can flush it out with your garden hose. Run water through the heater hoses both ways until clean. Then flush the block out good too. Here are the steps to replace it. It located in the lower center of the dash, You most likely don't even need these steps. The labor time on it is less then 2 hours so it is not a hard job.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.4L.
  2. Remove the fuel injector sight shield if equipped with 3.8L. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.8L.
  3. Drain the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Engine Cooling.
  4. Disconnect the heater hoses at the heater core. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement .
  5. Remove the LH and RH instrument panel insulators. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  6. Remove the lower the floor console, if equipped. Refer to Console Replacement - Front Floor in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  7. Remove the bolts and position the HVAC wiring harness bracket aside.
    Object Number: 508311  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=

Important: Position the heater outlet cover downward and rearward in order to disconnect the cover from the rear area floor duct assembly.

8. Remove the heater outlet cover screws.
  9. Remove the heater outlet cover.
    Object Number: 295349  Size: SH
  10. Remove the heater core cover screws.
  11. Remove the heater core cover.
    Object Number: 143978  Size: SH
  12. Remove and discard the seals (1,2,3) from the heater core cover.
    Object Number: 143992  Size: SH
  13. Remove and discard the heater core outer seal (5) from the heater core.
    Object Number: 295351  Size: SH
  14. Remove the heater core pipe retainer clamp screw (2).
  15. Remove the heater core line clamp screw (1).
  16. Remove the heater core retaining clamp.
    Object Number: 295353  Size: SH
  17. Remove the heater core from the HVAC lower case.
  18. Remove the heater core tube support bracket (clamp).
Mark Bisig, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 28 years at a Chevrolet Dealer, ASE Master Technician, GM Master Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The question was answered in a prompt manner. I wish it was a simple fix of just flushing it out. But it did spring a hot stream of coolent while driving. The pictures that were provided are of no use being that i dont have a clue what im looking at. When clicking on the view full image with the magnifying glass it brings me to a blank page. I think if you were able to provide a better expanded view for the diy'er it would be alot easier to understand. Is ther a way you can provide a better view?
Yes the magnifying glass is no help but the pictures are of the under side of the dash. I don't have a picture of the dash in a complete picture. These are pictures of the area you will be working in. Like I said, I think you can do the job without any problems. Just start taking the covers off in the middle of the under dash and you should come right to the core. I believe it is under the 2nd cover you take off. I'm very sorry the pictures make no sense to you.