Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

2004 CHEVY COLORADO THERMOSTAT REPLACMENT, HOW HARD IS IT TO DO

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: 2004 CHEVY COLORADO CREW CAB, WITH "V TEC 3500" IN-LINE 5 CYLINDER ENGINE. IT HAS 45,000 MILES ON IT AND I HAVN'T TRIED TO DO ANYTHING WITH IT YET. I HAVE A NEW THERMOSTAT AND I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW HARD IT IS TO INSTALL IT AND IF I COULD MAYBE GET SOME STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PUT IT IN. THANKS.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement

Tools Required

J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  2. Raise and support the vehicle only high enough to access the thermostat housing (4) through the wheelhouse. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  3. Remove the left wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement in Body Front End.
  4. Position the J 38185 to the clamp (3) in order to remove the radiator inlet hose (2) from the thermostat housing (4).
    Object Number: 858164  Size: SH
  5. Remove the thermostat housing bolts.
  6. Remove the thermostat housing from the engine block.
  7. Clean and inspect the thermostat housing.
  8. Clean and inspect the sealing surface of the engine block.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 858164  Size: SH
  1. Position the thermostat housing to the engine block.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

2. Install the thermostat housing bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  3. Position the J 38185 to the clamp (3) in order to connect the radiator inlet hose (2) to the thermostat housing (4).
  4. Install the left wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement in Body Front End.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
  7. Inspect all sealing surfaces for leaks after starting the engine.