Sam C.
Sam C., Technician/Shop Manager
Experience:  ASE Master, L1 cert, 25 years experience domestic & import

What is the average life of a starter Recently replaced ...

What is the average life of a starter? Recently replaced the battery on my H2 after one of the cells leaked and 2 weeks later the car is not starting. Dealer is telling me that the starter went bad and needs to be replaced. It is 5yrs old with roughly 70,000 miles on it. Does this sound right?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Sam C. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Starters are a momentary use item, life depends on how much they are used. A person who does alot of stop and go driving is going to need a starter sooner than someone who drives the freeway more often. 70K is not unusually short for replacement. If the battery had 1 weak cell for a while and was not supplying enough voltage to the starter for it to turn over efficiently it could have contributed to the problem.