Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

99 tahoe: take out transfercase when removeing transmission

Customer Question

do you have to take out transfercase when removeing transmission on 99 tahoe with 4*4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

It is not absolutely mandatory, but it will make it a lot easier to handle the transmission itself. Because of the bulk and balance, it would be wiser to remove the t case first. I am enclosing removal instructions for the transmission from the Tahoe service manual, the instructions for the 4L60E and the 4L80E are the same. If you have a question on any particular part of it, drop me a note. Thanks

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

Transmission Replacement

Installation Procedure
  1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Drain the transmission fluid.
  3. Remove the transmission oil level indicator tube and seal from the transmission.
  4. Plug the oil level indicator tube opening in the transmission.
  5. Remove the shift cable end from the transmission shift lever ball stud. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement
  6. Remove the rear propeller shaft.
  7. If equipped with a transfer case, remove the front propeller shaft.
  8. Remove the exhaust crossover pipe.
  9. Disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines from the transmission.
  10. Plug the transmission oil cooler line connectors in the transmission case.
  11. Remove the starter motor.
  12. Support the transmission with a transmission jack.
    Object Number: 408374  Size: SH

13. Remove the torque converter access plug.
  14. Remove the flywheel to torque converter bolts.
    Object Number: 408532  Size: SH

15. Remove the two bolts and nut securing the transmission rear mount to the transmission.
    Object Number: 394459  Size: SH

16. Remove the two bolts securing the heat shield to the transmission.
    Object Number: 396800  Size: SH

17. Remove the transmission vent hose, fuel lines, and the wiring harness from the transmission.
    Object Number: 394448  Size: SH

18. Remove the stud and the bolt securing the transmission to the engine.
    Object Number: 394446  Size: SH

19. Remove the six studs and one bolt securing the transmission to the engine.
  20. Install the J 21366 onto the transmission bell housing to retain the torque converter.
  21. Pull the transmission straight back.
  22. Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
  23. Flush the transmission oil cooler and cooling lines when you remove the transmission.
Installation Procedure
  1. Install the J 21366 onto the transmission bell housing to retain the torque converter.
  2. Support the transmission with a transmission jack.
  3. Raise the transmission into place and remove the J 21366 from the transmission.
  4. Slide the transmission straight onto the locating pins while lining up the marks on the flywheel and the torque converter.
    Object Number: 394446  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install six studs and one bolt securing the transmission to the engine.

Tighten
    Tighten the studs and the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 394448  Size: SH

6. Install the stud and bolt securing the transmission to the engine.

Tighten
    Tighten the stud and the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

7. Install the flywheel to torque converter bolts.
    Object Number: 408374  Size: SH

8. Install the torque converter access plug.
    Object Number: 396800  Size: SH

9. Install the transmission vent hose, fuel lines, and the wiring harness to the transmission.
    Object Number: 394459  Size: SH

10. Install the two bolts securing the heat shield to the transmission.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Object Number: 408532  Size: SH

11. Install the two bolts and nut securing the transmission rear mount to the transmission.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts and nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

12. Remove the transmission jack from the transmission.
  13. Install the starter motor.
  14. Unplug the transmission oil cooler line connectors in the transmission case.
  15. Connect the transmission oil cooler lines to the transmission.
  16. Install the exhaust crossover pipe.
  17. install the rear propeller shaft.
  18. If equipped with a transfer case, Install the front propeller shaft.
  19. Install the shift cable end to the transmission shift lever. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement .
  20. Unplug the oil level indicator tube opening in the transmission.
  21. Install the transmission oil level indicator tube and seal to the transmission.
  22. Fill the transmission to the proper fluid level.
  23. Lower the vehicle.

Document ID# XXXXX
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD