Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

1998 chevy cavalier 2.2l automatic shifter cable needs to ...

Customer Question

1998 chevy cavalier 2.2l automatic: shifter cable needs to be replaced. I have the part and time to replace it. Need instructions. Chilton manual has nothing! Please help, our daughter depends on it & us with her medical condition. Kim & Mike
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

You will need to remove the floor console to access the cable. If you need help with that let me know.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Transmission Control Replacement (Floor Shift Control)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Object Number: 104474  Size: SH

2. Remove the automatic transmission range select lever cable from the selector lever.
    Object Number: 104478  Size: SH

3. Remove the range select lever cable from the cable bracket.
  4. Remove the center console.
    Object Number: 104480  Size: SH

5. Remove the range select lever cable from the automatic transmission control.
  6. Remove the cable grommet at the cowl.
  7. Remove the cable from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 104480  Size: SH

1. Install the cable to the vehicle through the cowl and the carpet.
  2. Install the cable grommet in the cowl.
  3. Install the range select lever cable at the automatic transmission control.
  4. Install the center console.
    Object Number: 104478  Size: SH

5. Install the range select lever cable to the cable bracket.
    Object Number: 104474  Size: SH

6. Install the range select lever cable to the selector lever.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Adjust the cable.
    8.1. Place the shift lever in N (Neutral). Rotate the selector shaft clockwise from P (Park) through R (Reverse) into N (Neutral).
    8.2. Place the shift control assembly in N (Neutral).
    8.3. Push the tab on the cable adjuster in order to adjust the cable in the cable mounting bracket.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: I need help removing the floor console.
Do you remove the cable from beneath the auto?
Explain the cowl.
Can the cable be reinstalled without worries of putting it back next to something that will cause it to melt? Basically is there only 1 path this cable can go?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Part of it goes from inside the car and part from under the hood. You should not have to lift it that I can remember. The cowl is the metal area that is between the motor and the cockpit, the firewall would be another word for it. I would unhook the battery just as a precaution. Yes, it will pretty much only go in one way, just pay attention to how it is routed coming out. If you need to remove the shift knob, there should be a small horse shoe shaped clip in the front of the knob at the bottom that just pulls out with a small screw driver.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Console Replacement (Chevrolet)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 288352  Size: MH

1. Open the console compartment.
  2. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Console in order to remove one of the following components:
    - The console trim plate - automatic transmission
    - The boot - manual transmission
  3. Remove the screw cover (7).
  4. Remove the screws (6).
  5. Remove the console (2).
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 288352  Size: MH

1. Install the console (2).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the screws (6).

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

3. Install the screw cover (7).
  4. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Console in order to install one of the following components:
    - The boot - manual transmission
  5. Close the console compartment.

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Console Trim Plate Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 288351  Size: MH

1. Gently pry upward on one of the following components in order to disengage the retainers:
    For automatic transmission, the console trim plate (1).
    For manual transmission, the shift lever boot (2).
  2. Remove the gearshift handle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 288351  Size: MH

1. Install the gearshift handle.
  2. Align the retainers.
  3. Press one of the following components into place:

Document ID# XXXXX
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier