how do you replace the ignition switch on a 1990 chevy pickup

No Comment Added

Here is what I have for your truck. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems. Good luck!

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.

3. Place the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.

If the lock cylinder was removed on vehicles through 1991, the actuating rod should be pulled up until it stops, then moved down one detent; the switch is now in the Lock position.

Click image to see an enlarged view
View Full Image

Fig. 1: Adjusting the ignition switch

Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly.

Most replacement switches are pinned in the OFF-LOCK position for installation purposes. If so, the pin MUST be removed after installation or damage may occur.

To install:

1. Before installing the ignition switch, place it in the OFF-LOCK position, then make sure that the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the Locked position (1st detent from the top or 1st detent to the right of far left detent travel).

2. Install the activating rod into the ignition switch and assemble the switch onto the steering column. Once the switch is properly positioned, tighten the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers to 35 inch lbs.

3. Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.

4. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
After reading your reply I now realize that what I really want to replace is the lock cylinder . Can you help me with that ?
Does the cylinder turn? Or is it stuck in the lock position?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The key is broken off in the cylinder and the cylinder is stuck in the run position . The start function still operates however to turn the vehicle off you disconnect the ignition under the hood.

Here is what I have got for your truck to remove the cylinder. Let me know if you have any problems.

1988-94 Models

See Figures 1 and 2

1. Remove the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Installing the lock cylinder

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Ignition switch

1. Remove the turn signal switch. It is not necessary to completely remove the switch from the column. Pull the switch rearward far enough to slip it over the end of the shaft, but do not pull the harness out of the column.

2. Turn the lock to Run.

3. If necessary, remove the ignition key.

4. If equipped, remove the buzzer switch assembly.

5. Remove the lock retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.

To install:

1. Rotate the key to the stop while holding onto the cylinder.

2. Push the lock all the way in.

3. Install the screw. Tighten the screw to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm) for regular columns, 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) for tilt columns.

4. Install the turn signal switch and the steering wheel.