Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

94 Chevy S10: (5spd, 2.2, 2wd) and..clutch..slave cylinder

i just installed rebuilt transmission in my '94 Chevy S10. (5spd, 2.2, 2wd) and also installed a new clutch and slave cylinder. My clutch will not engage? I bled the line to the slave cyl. Do i need to replace the master cylinder? Or could it be something else?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Normally it is a good idea to replace both items as they have the same amount of wear on them. I must ask though when you bled the system, was there in fact a decent amount of pressure when the bleeder was opened? If not then yes I would replace the master cylinder. If there was decent pressure, you may need to look into the fork depressing the pressure plate. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: there was a considerable amout of pressure from the bleeder valve. I installed a new release bearing and was careful to place the clips inside correctly and i'm pretty sure it's on the fork correctly...
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
I just reread your question and maybe I am misunderstanding a little. When you say the clutch will not engage, does this mean you can release the pedal and it does not go?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: i'm sorry. the truck will not go into gear, as if the clutch isn't doing it's job.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Ok, that what I thought. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? How many times did you infact do the bleeding process? You did state that you installed a new clutch, did you verify that it was a match to the old one? You would not be the first to get a wrong part. It sounds to me as you did as you should have as far as the fork and the release bearing are concerned. Did you examine the release bearing retainer? Was it lubricated? Does the pedal feel soft? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to makesure that we are on the same page.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the questions are fine.
the flywheel looked good so i did not have it resurfaced. i did wipe it good w/ acetone.
I bled the line at least 8-10 "down-up" sequences. I felt that was sufficient but could be wrong.
I'm quite sure the replacement clutch is the right match. everything matched.
I did lube the RB retainer.
Yes, the pedal is very soft.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok if the pedal is soft I would figure that there is still air in the line, or as you stated a problem with the master cylinder. As long as the clutch is corect for your vehicle and you replced the clutch disc as it was suppoed to be you really only have the two previously mentioned items that could be causing this. Ideally if you could get your hands on a vacuum pump and vacuum the bleed process will work better. If not you are stuck doing it by pumping up the pedal and bleeding it that way. If you feel that the bleeding has been done suffecient, I would replce the master cylinder. Here is the bleeding process as I have seen. Just too make sure that you didn't miss anything while bleeding the system.

• Fill the reservoir with new brake fluid. Use Delco Supreme® Brake Fluid (GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent.
  • Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting Caution in General Information.
  • Depress the clutch pedal (hold the pedal down).
  • Open the bleed screw on the concentric slave cylinder in order to expel the air.
  • Close the bleed screw then release the clutch pedal.

Important: Ensure no air is drawn into the clutch system.

• Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 until all the air is out of the clutch system.
    1. Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding.
    2. After bleeding, pump the clutch pedal several times. If the clutch engagement is not satisfactory, repeat the bleeding procedure.
  • If the previous procedures are unsuccessful, perform the following steps.
    1. Remove the reservoir cap.
    2. Pump the clutch pedal very fast for 30 seconds.
    3. Stop pumping and let the air escape.
    4. Repeat this procedure as necessary.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION