goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

CHEVY: TON 6.5 TURBO DIESEL...WONT..START.

Customer Question

I HAVE A CHEVY 1-TON 6.5 TURBO DIESEL. IT WILL STOP RUNNING WHILE DRIVING OR STOPPED. NOW IT WON'T START. PUT IN 2 NEW BATTERIES. WHAT IS THE FIX?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

Hello there,

It doesnt look like any of the diesel techs are online right now, they check in all the time, but probably tomarrow there will be a few of them. Hang tight and they will email you with their response. Good luck with this. I've worked on everything else but not much with deisels, about all i know about is the water/fuel separator filter,,,,,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pulled codes and code 12 come up which is no code present.
I'll bet its fuel related then.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, it has lucas fuel additive in it.
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, what year do you have and how many miles on your deisel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
95 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel with 198,000 miles. fuel filter has been changed.

Hello, you will need to verfy the lift pump mounted on frail rail is ok. if so i think you are going to find out you have a injection pump pump problem. very common on these vehicles. in fact there was a special warranty on these for 11 years or 120.000 miles. here is a copy of the service info on this truck.

Subject:Special Coverage (Policy) Adjustment - Electronic Diesel-Fuel Injection Pump Failure-Repair/Replace #00064G - (04/18/2007)

Models:1994-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, G and P Model Trucks; and 1997-1998 B7 School Bus Chassis
Equipped with 6.5L Diesel Engine (RPO L49 -- VIN Code P; RPO L56 -- VIN Code S; RPO L65 -- VIN Code F)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD INFORMATION TO THE DIESEL EFI DIAGNOSTIC WORKSHEET FOR THE FUEL TEMPERATURE SENSOR, AND ADD INFORMATION TO THE SERVICE PROCEDURE. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 00064F, DATED SEPTEMBER 2004.

Condition

Some customers of 1994-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, G and P model trucks; and 1997-1998 B7 school bus chassis, equipped with a 6.5L diesel engine (RPO L49-VIN Code P; RPO L56-VIN Code S; or RPO L65-VIN Code F), may experience a failure of the electronic diesel fuel injection pump.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of eleven (11) years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. Damage from poor quality or incorrect grade diesel fuel, and gasoline or water contamination, is not covered under the terms of the 6.5L diesel warranty.

This special policy applies ONLY to electronic diesel-fuel injection pump repairs and/or replacement as a result of injection pump failure. The pump repair or replacement will be made at no charge to the owner. This Special Coverage does not cover: glow plugs, turbocharger wear, low compression engines or PCM/PCM wiring conditions.

Fuel quality may cause driveability problems such as hesitation, lack of power, stall, no start, etc. For best results, use Number 2-D diesel fuel year-round (above and below freezing conditions) as oil companies blend Number 2-D fuel to address climate differences. Number 1-D diesel fuel may be used in very cold temperatures (when it stays below -18°C (0°F); however, it will produce power and fuel economy loss. The use of Number 1-d fuel in warm or hot climates may result in stalling, poor starting when the engine is hot and may damage the fuel injection system. For further detail related to Fuel System Specifications, refer to SI.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 1994-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, G and P model trucks, and 1997-1998 B7 school bus chassis, equipped with 6.5L diesel engine (RPO L49-VIN Code P; RPO L56-VIN Code S or RPO L65-VIN Code F) and built from Start of Production to End of Production,

Fuel Lift Pump Electrical Circuit

When the key is in turned ON, the PCM energizes the fuel pump relay which sends voltage to the lift pump. The lift pump remains during the glow plug cycle. If the engine is not started immediately after the glow plug cycle, the PCM shuts the fuel lift pump OFF and waits until engine RPM is greater than zero and then turns the relay back ON. As a backup system to the fuel pump relay, the fuel lift pump can also be turned ON by the fuel pump/oil pressure switch. When the engin oil pressure reaches 28 kPa (4 psi), and the fuel pump relay does not complete the circuit, the fuel pump/oil pressure switch will close and complete the circuit to run the fuel lift pump.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
injection pump has been replaced 4 years ago. what else could it be?
even so the pump was replaced before, still could be the failure again. there is a pump module driver mounted on the side of the pump, that once in a while will fail. you can take a screw driver and lighlty tap on the module and see if will start. also use the diag flow check and make sure the lift pump is operating ok. if the lift pump is ok, you are back to the injection pump. the fact you have a code 12 indicates there are no electrical faults.