Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

rear rotors and brakes on my 1999 silverado 4x4 a few weeks..pedal

I replaced the rear rotors and brakes on my 1999 silverado 4x4 a few weeks ago and now i have a drag in the rear end and smell brakes. I think it is the parkign brakes, the pedal does not seem to be working.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
YOu mean the brake pedal is spongy?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: the brake pedal is fine the parkign brake pedal seems to not be working and the parkign brakes seem to be stuck on but i don't see any problem with the cable. I am just tryign to avoid taking the whole thing apart if not needed.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.

Well I hear ya on this one!

I would rec to figure out which one is getting hot to the point of smelling brakes. Next would be to decide if its the caliper thats sticking or the e brake shoes/pads that are coming in contact with the rotors that are heating up so much.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: I really think that it is the parkign brake because I have strong smell from bith rear wheels and i think that it would be very unusual for both calipers to go bad at teh same time. Is there an adjystment for the parkign brake other than the cable?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
The parking brake must be adjusted any time the parking brake cables are serviced, or the holding ability is not adequate. Before adjusting the parking brake, check the condition of the service brakes. The service brakes must be adjusted properly before adjusting the parking brake.

1. Raise the vehicle and support the vehicle with safety stands.
  2. Loosen the adjusting nut at the equalizer.
  3. Set the parking brake by pushing the pedal down 18 degrees.
    • Insert a 3 mm (0.125 inch) pin into locating hole (1) in the pedal assembly.
    • Push the pedal downward until the pin contacts the parking brake outer flange.
  1. Turn the adjusting nut at the equalizer until the wheels rotate forward with a moderate drag.
  2. Release the parking brake and rotate the rear wheels. There should be no drag.
  3. Lower the vehicl
  4. graphice.