Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1998 chevy astro: ignition key switch..reconnected..security light

1998 chevy astro van Idisconnected battery to install ignition key switch ,when i reconnected battery van will not start and security light blinks on dash.How do i reset computer.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

Try this relearn procedure,,,follow it very closley.

graphic

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

If not, please click on Accept.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried this already but the security light only blinks 3 or 4 times and goes out.has to be another way

When you replaced the ignition lock cylinder, did you replace it with the factory "passlock" cylinder and a key that has the chip in it?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the cylinder with a Standard Motor Products lock cylinder.Did,t see a chip on old key. I als0o tried putting the old lock back in but it still acts the same way

Sorry that system doesnt have the chip in the key, the resistance code is created by a rotating magnet turning past a stationary sensor.

Most likely a problem in the column, and its going to take a scan tool to verify it unless you tear it apart and find it.

Why did you have to replace the cylinder?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
key was so worn that it was hard to try and turn the ignition switch
But it started right? No security issues?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: No the security light was still on and the van will not start

Just so i'm sure we are on the same page,,,,sorry

It had this security issue BEFORE replacing the cylinder?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Their was no problem before other than the key was hard to turn.I disconnected the battery and installed the new cylimder and than the problem started.I could,nt believe what was happening.I,m wondering if the computer needs to be reset.

THANK YOU!

The procedure i sent earlier is the ONLY reset that can be done without a scan tool....this sucks, and i know how you feel, but there is no other way, unless you physically go back inside the column to find what went wrong.......sorry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What scan tool are you talking about

It's called a Tech 2 scan tool,,,,,the kind the dealer uses.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So what do you think we should do

Try disconnection the battery cables and hold them together for 1 minute.

Reconnect the cables and try it, if no start, run through the relearn again.

Thats all you can do without the tech 2 scan tool.

Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic