Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

2000 Chevy Venture: cooling system..flush..heater core..The coolant is

Customer Question

My 2000 Chevy Venture's heater stopped working and I had a cooling system flush including the heater core. The heater worked again for about 3 or 4 days and now is no longer working. The coolant is clear without debris. The windshield fogs up when I try to use the heater which indicates still problems w/ the core. I would like to swap it myself but would like some direction before I get into it. Or maybe this is a dealership only swap out. I work on my cars all the time and have replaced many " hard to replace parts". Maybe some tips from your people could save me some greif.   Thank You......
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, this one is not too bad to do. I am sending you instructions from the Venture service manual. You are correct, fogging of the windshield does indicate a leak in the core. Start on the inside of the truck. First is instructions to get to the core cover.

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Venture

Heater Core Cover Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the right instrument panel insulator.
  2. Remove the left instrument panel insulator.
  3. Remove the lower center console.
  4. Remove the console bracket.
  5. Remove the floor duct brace
  6. Remove the floor duct
    Object Number: 295347  Size: SH

7. Remove the screws retaining the heater core outlet cover.
  8. Remove the heater core outlet cover.
    Object Number: 295349  Size: SH
  9. Remove the screws retaining the heater core cover.
  10. Remove the heater core cover.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 295349  Size: SH

1. Install the heater core cover.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the heater core cover retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

Object Number: 295347  Size: SH

3. Install the heater core outlet cover.
  4. Install the heater core outlet cover retaining screws.

Tighten

5. Install the floor duct.
  6. Install the floor duct brace.
  7. Install the floor duct brace retaining nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m ( 89 lb in).

8. Install the console bracket.
  9. Install the lower center console.
  10. Install the left instrument panel insulator.
  11. Install the right instrument panel insulator.

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Venture

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Venture

Heater Core Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

1. Remove the air cleaner cover and duct assembly. .
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Disconnect the wiper linkage.
    Object Number: 392563  Size: SH

4. Disconnect both of the heater hoses from the heater core using the J 38185 .
  5. Remove the heater core outlet cover.
    Object Number: 295349  Size: SH

6. Remove the screws retaining the heater core cover.
  7. Remove the heater core cover.
    Object Number: 143978  Size: SH

8. Remove and discard the cavity (1), whistle (2), and permagum (3) seals from the heater core cover.
    Object Number: 296242  Size: SH

9. Remove and discard the heater core outer seal (5) from the heater core.
    Object Number: 295351  Size: SH

10. Remove the heater core retaining clamp screw (1).
  11. Remove the heater core retaining clamp.
  12. Remove the heater core pipe retainer clamp screw (2).
    Object Number: 295353  Size: SH

13. Remove the heater core from the HVAC module.
    Object Number: 143987  Size: SH

14. Remove and discard the heater core lower seal (4) from the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 143992  Size: SH

15. Remove and discard the heater core center seal (3) from the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 143985  Size: SH

16. Remove and discard the heater core upper seal (2) from the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 295355  Size: SH

17. Remove the heater core pipe retainer clamp from the heater core pipes. Using a flat bladed tool, release the retaining tab and open the clamp.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 295355  Size: SH

1. Install the heater core pipe retainer clamp to the heater core pipes. Align the depression in the clamp to the ridge on one of the heater core pipes, then close the clamp to secure.
    Object Number: 143990  Size: SH

2. Install new heater cores side seals (1) to the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 143985  Size: SH

3. Install a new heater core upper seal (2) to the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 143992  Size: SH

4. Install a new heater core center seal (3) to the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 143987  Size: SH

5. Install a new heater core lower seal (4) to the HVAC module case.
    Object Number: 295353  Size: SH

6. Install the heater core to the HVAC module case.

Object Number: 295351  Size: SH

7. Install the heater core pipe retaining clamp screw (2).

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

8. Install the heater core retaining clamp.
  9. Install the heater core retaining clamp screw (1).

Tighten

Object Number: 296242  Size: SH

10. Install a new heater core outer seal (5) to the heater core.
    Object Number: 143978  Size: SH

11. Install a new cavity (1), whistle (2), and permagum (3) seals to the heater core cover.
    Object Number: 295349  Size: SH

12. Install the heater core cover.
  13. Install the heater core cover retaining the screws.

Tighten

14. Install the heater core outlet cover.
    Object Number: 392563  Size: SH

15. Connect both of the heater hoses and the clamps to the heater core using the J 38185 positioning the clamps as indicated.
  16. Install the wiper linkage.
  17. Refill the coolant.
  18. Install the air cleaner cover and duct assembly.

Document ID# XXXXX
2000 Chevrolet Venture

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am ready to accept but just wanted to know 3 things related to this session. 1) do the instructions you sent me apply to my situation if my van has AC. 2) before I dig ino all this, in your opinion, is it possible that the problem could be some simple module or sensor or something other than the core ( air is comming out of vent) 3) it seems I should get a "seal kit" along with the core, is this true?    Thanks Kerry.....
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello Kerry, Yes these instructions are for an AC equipped vehicle. I really doubt that anything other than a leak in the core could account for the fog on the windshield. Moisture tends to form on the glass because the air rises and it ends up on the glass. You could try to feel the fog and see if it feels slippery, that would be another indication of coolant in it. If it were outside air leaking in, it should not have any moisture in it. But I really can't think of any other reason. And these cores are a pretty high failure rate item. On the seal kit, I would tend to wait until I had it apart and see what kind of shape it was in before I put it back together. If it still looks pretty good I would use the old one over, but if it comes apart in pieces because of glue or because it sticks to one side of the case and rips coming out, then I would replace it. Good luck with it and if I can assist further,just drop a note. Thanks, Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You Bob, You have given me enough info and confidence to attack the Problem.   Thanks Kerry
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
You are most welcome. I am sure you can handle it. If you have any problems, just drop me a note. Thanks for the accept and for using JA