ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
2207141

2002 GMC Yukon: there is a knocking noise that..steering column

Customer Question

I have a 2002 GMC Yukon and there is a knocking noise that apprears to be coming from the steering column. It use to happen when turning the vehicle but now it happens all the time. Any sugguestions on what it might be and how to fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
Hi!
This isn't an uncommon problem, and here's a technical service bulletin with repair information that outlines the problem:

Notes

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003M

Date: January 31, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada.

Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise - A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer - Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

Intermediate Shaft Clunk - Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction
graphic

I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

graphic
For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

graphic

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:

Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

graphic

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.

From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft.

Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten the bolt to 47 N.m (35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten the bolt to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten the nuts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

Reposition the carpet into place.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I'll be able to better understand the repair shop when I take it in.
Customer
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
Not a problem!

Just let me know if you have any more questions!