goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

P253: duramax LLY has check engine light

Customer Question

duramax LLY has check engine light, code P2563 - what does that indicate?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.

Hello, here is some info on the code p2563

I hope this info was helpfull!!!!

DTC P2563

Circuit Description

The position of the turbocharger vanes is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM utilizes a turbocharger vane control solenoid valve and a turbocharger vane position sensor to control the turbocharger vanes. When the engine is not under load, the turbocharger vanes are in an open position, or no boost condition. When the engine is under load, the ECM commands the control solenoid valve to close the turbocharger vanes, thus increasing the boost. The ECM will vary the boost dependant upon the load requirements of the engine. The vane position sensor uses the following 3 circuits:

A 5-volt reference circuit
A low reference circuit
A signal circuit

The ECM provides the sensor with 5 volts on the 5-volt reference circuit and a ground on the low reference circuit. Movement of the sensor from the closed position to the open position provides the ECM with a signal voltage through the position sensor signal circuit. If the ECM detects that the commanded position does not meet the actual position, DTC P2563 will set.

DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P2563 Turbocharger Vane Control Position Sensor Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.
The ECM is not commanding the solenoid valve open or closed.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the commanded vane position does not match the actual position.
The above condition exists for more than 12 seconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

If any service has been performed on the turbocharger or on the turbocharger components, a turbocharger relearn must be performed. Failure to perform the turbocharger learn procedure may cause this DTC to set.

P0045 P0046 P2563: Turbo Vane Position Codes

The most likely causes for turbo vane position codes are debris in the solenoid control valve, inoperative solenoid control valve, sticking turbo vanes, or an operative turbo vane position sensor.