Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

what do the dtc P0207 and P2146 mean in a Duramax cheverolet

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

Here are the descriptions of both trouble codes.

DTC P0207

The fuel injection control module (FICM) supplies high voltage to each fuel injector on the injector supply voltage circuits. The FICM enables each fuel injector by grounding the command circuit between the FICM and the fuel injector. The FICM monitors the status of the injector supply voltage circuits and the fuel injector command circuits. When a fuel injector circuit condition is detected by the FICM, all of the fuel injectors on the affected injector supply voltage circuit will be disabled. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 1, 4, 6, or 7, DTCs P0201, P0204, P0206, P0207 will set, along with DTC P2146. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 2, 3, 5, or 8, DTCs P0202, P0203, P0205, P0208 will set, along with DTC P2149.

DTC P2146

The fuel injection control module (FICM) supplies high voltage to each fuel injector on the ignition voltage circuits. The FICM energizes each fuel injector by grounding the command circuit between the FICM and the fuel injector. The FICM monitors the status of the ignition voltage circuits and the fuel injector command circuits. When a fuel injector circuit condition is detected by the FICM, all of the fuel injectors on the affected ignition voltage circuit will be disabled. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 1, 4, 6, or 7, DTCs P0201, P0204, P0206, P0207 will set, along with DTC P2146. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 2, 3, 5, or 8, DTCs P0202, P0203, P0205, P0208 will set, along with DTC P2149.

All of this being said there is actually a gm bulletin about these codes. Here is more info on that. This is in regards XXXXX XXXXX injector connector.

Condition

Some customers may comment that the Service Engine Soon lamp is illuminated and/or intermittent along with a significant reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find one or multiple injector driver circuit diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207, P0208 and bank shut down DTCs P2146 or P2149.

If the published diagnostics lead to an injector connector on cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8, replace the affected injector connector pigtail harness with P/N 88988963 using the following repair procedure.

1. Complete normal diagnosis for the trouble codes set.
  2. Injector circuit or injector coil tests may be normal until the engine reaches operating temperature. Recheck circuit/injector resistance readings with a warm engine.

Important: Dealer technicians are to repair wire chafes at the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) as needed. Follow the correct SI wiring repair procedures. Insulate the harness from the aluminum retaining bracket with suitable material (electrical conduit or heater hose) so the harness will not chafe again.

Important: When diagnostics are being completed for Injector Driver Fault codes, the dealer technician may notice the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) connector is wet or has a wet residue on it. The FICM connectors do have a type of dielectric grease that may be mistaken for diesel fuel. The FICM should not be replaced if this type of wet residue is found. Clean and dry the connectors as needed. No extra dielectric grease needs to be added to the FICM connectors.

3. Inspect for wire harness chafes on the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) wiring harness retaining bracket. This is an aluminum bracket very close to the FICM connectors. If any part of the taped portion of the harness is touching the FICM wiring harness retaining bracket, then you must look for chaffing on the wiring harness. It must be disconnected from the FICM and bent back towards the engine. Look for any chafes into the tape. If necessary peel the tape from the area and look for any chafes into the wires. Some of these chafes are very small, possibly the size of a pen tip, but could still cause injector circuit concerns.
  4. If diagnosis is inconclusive, inspect the injector connections on all related cylinders. Pin drags and terminal tension can be checked with Kent Moore tool number J 35616-35.
  5. Clear the trouble codes and then wiggle test the related injector connectors to see if the trouble codes can be induced. If the vehicle had only injector circuit codes for P0202 or P0207 (with bank shutdown P2146 or P2149), and the wiggle test induces a P0202 or P0207 to reset, use bulletin number 05-06-04-047B to repair the injector connectors and install the injector harness support kit.
  6. If the trouble codes or customer concern is induced during the wiggle test on any other cylinders (other then P0202/P0207), replace the affected injector connector pigtail with P/N 88988963. This replacement pigtail can be used to repair any cylinder except number 2 and number 7. The 2 and 7 cylinder connectors must be repaired and supported as per bulletin 05-06-04-047B.

The testing on this engine is brutal, if you still have a factory warranty on this I would advise you to take it to the dealer to save yourself a huge headache. The wiring test takes about 40 steps to complete. If you are unsure of if you still have any warranty on the engine, post your vin# XXXXX I can tell you if you do infact have anything left as far as warranty. I would also need the mileage to do so. I know this is quite a bit to look at, but for the most part it is all important info regarding your problem. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I will do my best to answer them.

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Fantastic , I was concerned that my turbo went out ! Your answer was fantastic not my dtc!!! Thank you
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.
Glad to help. Thanks for using just answer.com!