RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
1100518

2002 chevy: starter..000 miles..crank sensor, fuel injectors,plugs

Customer Question

2002 chevy express 4.3 engine kicks back when starting breaking starter. starts sometimes but not others 51,000 miles have changed crank sensor, fuel injectors,plugs,wires. when it does start idols faster than normal sluggish when excellerating.Have broke 3 starters while cranking engine. Usually starts after sitting 24 hours or less, but after that it seems to kick back while cranking engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

I havn't had one actually break starters, but these are famose for injector leaks...I would have a fuel pressure test done to verify the fuel pressure leaks down overnight...if so the top of the intake should be removed for inspection of the injector assembly. If the fuel is entering the cylinders and flooding the engine, it will put load on the starter.

~Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: A.S.E Certified Master Technician, AC Delco service training, Ca State Smog License, L1 level
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Installed new fuel injectors I don't think the new ones would act the same as old ones. I also replaced the Mass airflow sensor twice. When plugged in to testor at auto zone it says mass airflow sensor code but I know its not that.
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

So the check engine lamp has also been comming on, sicne the problem began?

Within how many miles were the starters replaced?

When the engine cranks and "kickback," as you say...do you hear the engine fireover before the starter brakes? Is the nose of the starter breaking?

What brand is the starter your using?

Was the hard starting problem evident, before the actual starters started breaking?

~Rip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: Engine check light came on when problem started.
Starter nose breaks when cranking engine on start up.The 1st starter to break was the original, I have had 3 other from Auto Zone break that were oem starters.The starters break
when the engine kicks back during cranking of engine to start. Engine idols faster than normal when placed in gear(automatic).
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

Do you know the diagnostic code that is being set?

~Rip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I didn't get back to you quickly, I have been busy.I will get the diagnostic code to you tomorrow. I am not sure that the injectors are leaking because the new ones are doing the same as the old ones if thats the case. That really seems strange.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

I have seen the distributor cap/rotor be corroded and cause kickback and hard starting concerns. Here is a bulletin from GM pertaining to that problem and even lists a replacement distibutor if the screens are the problem and can't be repaired.

Subject:Poor Engine Performance-Misfire, Rough Idle, Stalls, Engine Cranks but Does Not Run, SES/Check Engine Light On, DTC P0300 Set (Inspect Distributor Ignition(DI) System Components, Replace as Necessary) #03-06-04-041A - (01/28/2005)

Models:2001-2003 Chevrolet Astro, Blazer, Express, S-10
2001-2003 GMC Jimmy, Safari, Savana, Sonoma
2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L Gas Engine (VINs W, X, M, R -- RPOs L35, LU3, L30, L31)

This bulletin is being revised to delete a model and add information to subject and inspection of distributor vent screens. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-041 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on poor engine performance and the Service Engine Soon/Check Engine light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0300 set.

Cause

This condition may be due to high levels of internal corrosion in the distributor, causing misfire, rough idle, stall and Engine Cranks But Does Not Run. This corrosion is attributed to a lack of airflow internal to the cap caused by the vent screens being clogged with debris.

Correction

Remove the vent screens and inspect the internal components of the Distributor Ignition System using the procedure listed below. If the distributor base has to be replaced, the vent screens will also have to be removed on the new distributor. If there is evidence of this internal corrosion, replace the affected component. Refer to the appropriate procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the applicable Service Manual.

Important: All of these inspections can be done on-vehicle.

1. 1. Inspect the distributor cap. You may notice a white residue on the cap walls. For higher mileage occurrences, the interior of the cap may have changed to medium brown in color
  2. 2. Inspect the distributor rotor. You may notice the presence of black streaks on the plastic surface. More typical evidence would be visible green spots on the copper surface of the rotor segment.
  3. 3. Inspect the distributor base. You may notice high levels of surface rust on the distributor shaft or surface contamination on the sensor hold down screws.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  4. 4. Inspect the distributor vent screens (1). If the vent screens are present, remove them by using a plastic-handled, long blade awl or pick (2). Insert into the airflow vent screens and pop them out. Refer to the figure for removal procedure. If the vent screens have been removed from the base of the distributor, then check the airflow inlets for being clogged with debris.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

10452458

Cap, Distributor (V6)

10452457

Rotor, Distributor (V6 and V8)

93441559

Distributor (V6)

10452459

Cap, Distributor (V8)

93441558

Distributor (V8)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

No problem...take your tim.It's too coincidental that the codes, showed up the same time the problem began, and the fast idle concern. I doubt the new injectors are causing the problem either. Also, check to see if the positive cable is tight on the battery(s)...if you pull up on the cable and it can pivot on the battery terminal, than the cable is loose. Try to tighten it, but if it doesn't - let me know. While your there, check to see if the negative cable is tight as well. If the positive cable is loose, it can cause a voltage drop to the engine computer and cause performance and starting issues.

~Rip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I changed the distributor cap and rotor cap but that did not help.The small screens in the distibutor looked very clean If you have any other sugestions it would be appreciated. At this point I don't have a lot of time to donate to this vehicle.I am sending your payment and Thank You for your answers. If you know of anything else to try please let me know.

Thanks!
Ken
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

Hi, there...what about the codes for the check engine lamp, were you able to retreive those?

~Rip