CCTMSTR
CCTMSTR, GM Certified Master Technician
Experience:  GM Master Technician.ASE Master.Advanced Level L1. NV State G2 Emission Inspector
5436117

2004 Chevy: I change the Throttle Position Sensor..5.3L

How do I change the Throttle Position Sensor for my 2004 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L? Where is it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 9 years ago.

The TPS is located on the side of the Throttle Body
#14 in Diagram. 2 Screws secure it to Throttle Body:

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: The diagram you sent is not for my engine. My VIN# XXXXX XXXXX
As far as I know, it's a 5.3L. Am I wrong?
I keep getting a code that tells me I have a faulty TPS. When it does happen, I get a sudden loss of power, and a "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message on the dash. When I look at the throttle body, all I see is the servo that actually controls the throttle butterfly plate. No TPS. Only one electrical connection.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: No, it's not. My engine doesn't look like the diagram you sent. Like I said, all I have is the throttle body controller...no TP sensor...only one electrical connector anywhere neer the throttle body...for the controller. I guess it must be in the controller itself. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well?
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 9 years ago.
Dave the TPS is part of the throttle body and non serviceable.Your system uses a TAC module (throttle actuated control) APP (acell postion pedal) and the throttle body.Before replacing any component.Do you have any diagnostic trouble codes?
CCTMSTR, GM Certified Master Technician
Experience: GM Master Technician.ASE Master.Advanced Level L1. NV State G2 Emission Inspector
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, I don't have the exaxt code #. I had Autozone check the code for me when it was acting up. I thought it was something I could change. Guess not. Thanks!
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 9 years ago.
Dave carefully inspect the wire harness at the throttle body see if there might be a broken wire inside the plastic coated wires VERY COMMON