Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, ASE Certified Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified - 20+ Years of Experience
707400

1997 CHEVROLET S10 BLAZER: 4WD..WITH THE 4.3 LITER ENGINE AND I

I HAVE A 1997 CHEVROLET S10 BLAZER 4WD WITH THE 4.3 LITER ENGINE AND I AM HAVING TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. THE TRANSMISSION WAS RECENTLY REBUILT. (I FIND OUT NOW THAT THIS IS THE THIRD TIME AROUND.) I PURCHASED THE VEHICLE AFTER THE SECOND TRANNY WAS DESTROYED TO SUCH A POINT THAT THE ONLY SALVAGEABLE ITEM WAS THE TAILSHAFT. THE UNIT PERFORMS VERY WELL UNTIL IT HAS BEEN DRIVEN FOR 10 -15 MILES AND THEN IT BEGINS TO HAVE A VERY HARD SHIFT AND THEN SHORTLY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND THE CODE IT SHOWS ON THE SCAN IS P1870. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE SO I CAN TRY TO POINT SOMEONE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN AND OUR PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE EXPERIENCES THAT SOME OTHER PLACES HAVE.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt Kesler replied 7 years ago.
I run a repair center and have seen a number of this era Chevrolet transmission need work.

The code you're describing, P1870, is the transmission slippage code. It's a very common code to indicate problems with many aspects of the transmission.

With your particular vehicle it appears as though there is a design flaw in the automatic transmission TCC (torque converter clutch) control valve in the solenoid valve body. To remedy this problem, if you do not notice any slipping, the valve body needs to be replaced along with the TCC Solenoid and wiring harness.

That should serve to cure the problem. You shouldn't need an entirely new transmission.
Matt Kesler, ASE Certified Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified - 20+ Years of Experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I forgot to ask Matt Kesler if the design flaw he refered to can be remedied and does the repair that he suggested require the tranny to be removed? Sorry, Randy
Replacing the Valve Body and TCC Solenoid and harness has seemed to work pretty well as a permanent solutions. I think they've made a couple updates to the parts as would be purchased now that have corrected some, or all, of the flaws.

You should not have to remove the vehicle for this Valve Body and Solenoid repair.
Matt Kesler, ASE Certified Mechanic